Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler with possible conjunctivitis - OOH or wait til Monday?

(13 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Sat 18-Jun-16 18:01:00

DS looks like he might have conjunctivitis in both eyes - should I try and see an out of hours doctor or wait til Monday?

He woke up screaming this morning which is unusual for him and has been out of sorts all day and playing with his ear. I thought it might be hayfever related but now not sure...

Also of it is conjunctivitis will the childminder take him Monday?

TyrionLannistersShadow Sat 18-Jun-16 18:06:23

Brolene drops will treat conjunctivitis and are available over the counter in the chemists (well they are here in Ireland so I am presuming it's the same in the UK! ) . My dd has had conjunctivitis twice now and both times it cleared up within 2 days using the Brolene drops.

BluePitchFork Sat 18-Jun-16 18:09:44

wait
in the meantime wipe his eyes every so often with cotton wool/cool boiled water.
most cases will go away on their own

navygravy Sat 18-Jun-16 18:09:55

Optrex Infected Eyes is available OOC but only for 3yo+

Is it definitely conjunctivitis? My DS gets gunky eyes when he's got a cold.

Mercedes519 Sat 18-Jun-16 18:11:28

You can see the pharmacist for that if they are over 1 (but don't quote me).

Conjunctivitis is very contagious so it would depend on your childminder. Mine did but the nursery we had didn't so best to get started on treatment as soon as you can.

SocksRock Sat 18-Jun-16 18:12:22

Agree, I would go the pharmacists and get the drops. It clears up really quickly once you start them

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 18-Jun-16 18:16:55

Bathe in chamomile tea using separate cotton wool for each eye.

Wash your own hands a lot!

See the pharmacist.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 18-Jun-16 18:17:20

Clean pillow case every day.

pocketsized Sat 18-Jun-16 18:53:03

Our GP wont do anything for conjunctivitis unless its not getting better after a week - they just recommend cleaning regularly with cool boiled water. I'm not sure OOH will do anything, so I'd wait and see if it clears up.

tiredsotiredso Sat 18-Jun-16 19:11:43

Just be careful that the skin around the eye does not become swollen or red. I thought my son just had conjunctivitis, then on the Sunday morning his face was swollen so we went to OOH who said also had periorbital cellulitis and needed antibiotics. Now I use golden eye or similar from the chemist quite quickly though I don't think they sell it for toddlers.
Excuse the pun but keep an eye on it, keep it clean with cool boiled water & maybe take a photo of his eyes so you can see if they are getting worse. Mostly conjunctivitis clears up on its own, but can get worse especially if poorly already or run down.

AuntieMaggie Sat 18-Jun-16 19:24:56

Thanks. It's been a while but I know when I've spoken to a pharmacist about my own eyes in the last they wouldn't give me advice or eye drops... will try though

lostscot Sat 18-Jun-16 22:30:36

My ds is a bit older but pharmacist was happy to sell drops over counter.

Northernexile Sat 18-Jun-16 22:33:09

I have had optrex infected eyes over the counter a couple of times. I thought it was 2+, and a pharmacist gave it to me for an 18mth old and said it would be fine. It has always worked really well for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now