Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Group B Strep and subsequent weight gain

(3 Posts)
TheDuchessOfKidderminster Sat 18-Jun-16 18:00:40

DS1 had GBS as a newborn treated with 10 days or so of IV antibiotics. He saw his paediatrician a couple of times during his first year and he had no concerns about his development.

However, he has always been very small - hovered around centile 2 as a baby and is now 13.5kg in weight and 95cm or so in height at almost 4 years old. We now have DS2 who in comparison is MASSIVE and has the nickname of 'The Chunk' in this house - there's three years between them and yet I could almost have them sharing some items of clothing like t shirts as their bodies aren't much different in size.

Just wondering if there could be any connection between DS1's GBS and his seemingly poor weight gain. He is fit and healthy in all other respects si I'm not worried about his health or anything, although it does seem ridiculous that he's going to start school in September and I am a bit concerned I suppose about him being so much smaller than his peers.

lljkk Sat 18-Jun-16 18:43:46

I think it's probably coincidence... GBS is more common in preterm infants, and the reasons why they were preterm could be similar reasons to why they are smaller as children. Was he preterm?

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Sat 18-Jun-16 19:16:01

No he was induced due to me having OC but this was at 39 weeks - he was a good weight (just shy of 7 lbs).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now