Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

looks like stye in toddler's eye...should I take him to dr?

(4 Posts)
GrassW1dow Wed 15-Jun-16 08:02:32

My 17mo DS has purpley / red upper eye lid, and the same starting on the other eye. It's slightly bulgey too.

It's been getting a bit worse for last few days. I assumed it was a stye and would go. But could it be something else and should I take him to dr today?

Seeline Wed 15-Jun-16 08:06:55

I think styes are usually lower eyelid, but not sure.
My DD had a very swollen upper eyelid, which I took to the GPs after delaying because DD is a drama queen Doc was very concerned, apparently it is a specific 'thing' but can't remember what it is called. Given AB drops with strict instructions to go to A+E if it got worse or her vision was affected as could end up with long term sight problems shock
So yes - go to the GP grin

eatsleephockeyrepeat Wed 15-Jun-16 08:07:29

I'd pop into the pharmacists to be honest, let them have a look at it. If it's something minor or common they'll be able to advise, plus you'll be able to see them straight away. They can recommend a doctor if needs be.

For anything visible I think pharmacists are brilliant.

GrassW1dow Wed 15-Jun-16 13:09:06

Thanks both....yes I remembered a friend of mine had something that seemed innocuous with her eye and was alarmed at the reaction by her dr (i.e. do something straight away .... worst case scenario you could lose your vision), so am now aware that eyes can seem only mildly troubled and yet it's something bad...
I hadn't actually remembered that worth seeing what pharmacist thought first though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now