Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

15mo doing weird things with eyes

(10 Posts)
TheCaptainsCat Tue 14-Jun-16 19:34:17

My 15 month old daughter has recently (I'd say past week or so) starting half closing her eyes, rolling her eyes back and sometimes tipping her head back too. She does it a number of times a day, but especially whilst in her high chair. She doesn't seem to be 'absent' whilst she does this as she has continued talking at the same time. It sounds really minor written down, but it looks unsettling and I can't help but worry about neurological issues. But then I think it's just some silly toddler thing and I'm overreacting... Anyone that can advise/has experienced this?

Miloarmadillo1 Tue 14-Jun-16 19:39:22

If your mother's instinct is unsettled watching it, get it on film and show someone. My daughter has a rare epilepsy and some of her more subtle episodes were just eye rolling. If you have video then I can send you details of a closed group where you can post it for opinions - sadly a lot of combined experience of many seizure types sad

TheCaptainsCat Tue 14-Jun-16 20:20:52

Milo, if you could send me the details that would be great, I will film her the next time she does it.

Miloarmadillo1 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:03:39

I have private messaged you the group details.

GloGirl Thu 16-Jun-16 00:07:13

My son experienced similar and I got an episode of what looked like an absent seizure on film. We went to the GP who referred us to a paediatric neurologist. I had lots of videos of funny episodes mostly in his high chair.

Turns out my son was not experiencing epilepsy but had 'gratification disorder' - he was bring stimulated by sitting and reacting oddly to the sensations.

The neurologist really needed all the info I had and took great time to listen first then watch all my videos. He didn't even need an ECG he was so confident.

There are so many unusual tiny seizures, Facebook groups are good, you tube videos too. Do get it investigated it is very important but just thought I'd tell you about how relieved we were. I was so worried, to tell everyone afterwards he was just masturbating in a way was super embarrassing but I know how lucky I am after researching what else it could have been flowers

TheFirie Thu 16-Jun-16 02:37:05

Film her and record how often it happens, at what time of the day, in what occasion. Giving fact and not only mummy talk helps in being taken seriously.

fortifiedwithtea Thu 16-Jun-16 04:33:08

I have left temporal lobe epilepsy. Eye rolling, uncontrollable blinking is all part of my more minor seizures but it usually goes hand in hand with a bit of slurred speech as well.

I would definitely film what DD does and show a doctor.

TheCaptainsCat Thu 16-Jun-16 11:56:03

Thanks for the responses, looks like recording and monitoring is the way to go, then I can take her to the GP if it feels necessary. She did it at lunch and dinner sat in her highchair yesterday - both times it followed a period of vigorous rocking, which she has been doing in her high chair for months. The second time I said "DD look at that dog!" and she immediately stopped the eye rolling to look for the dog, which makes me think it's not a seizure or other involuntary action.

fortifiedwithtea Thu 16-Jun-16 14:10:20

both times it followed a period of vigorous rocking

Now that is interesting. Could she be deliberately making herself dizzy? Sounds like she is getting that horrible but strangely nice sensation when you go on a waltzer.

Fingers crossed she is just being a pickle flowers

2nds Thu 16-Jun-16 14:23:53

I'd suggest trying to feed her in a lower chair just to see if it is being in the highchair that's making her do this. By all means record it and take her to the GP, but my daughter did something similar while in her highchair so we ditched the highchair and started feeding her on my knee or on the sofa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now