Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My son's face has become a little off, what do you think? Not sure what to do.

(59 Posts)
MummyMaisy Mon 13-Jun-16 13:16:56

Hi, I wasn't sure if I should post this, especially with photos (I'm a bit funny about things like that) but I need to know if I'm overreacting. My oldest son is 11. He has been having a few vision problems, nothing bad, but sometimes says that his eye feels 'cloudy' but that can come and go. His GP said that we should take him to get his eyes tested. The optician said that there was nothing wrong with his eyes (but the cloudiness wasn't there at the exam, so it was hard to judge, IMO) and that it's nothing to worry about, regarding his eye sight. However, the GP said it wasn't anything medical, either, so I figured it would be best to just leave this. I know this may not be relevant, but I think it could be.

We are currently on a trip away, for an award ceremony, for DH (yes, they have been agreed time off, in case anyone moans about that!) so I'm not sure what to do, which is why I'm posting here... I don't know if it can wait or not. We are 3 hours away from his regular GP... His face seemed a bit off, when he woke up, you see how his smile is half up, but half down? It's never normally like that, and he has had the 'cloudy eye' this morning, but that has gone away now. Does anyone know if this is concerning?

Emochild Mon 13-Jun-16 13:18:55

I'd be concerned

Ring 111 for advice

longdiling Mon 13-Jun-16 13:20:33

Well the first thing I thought of was Bell's Palsy but I'm no doctor. I do know a friend who had this and was fobbed off by the gp and eventually diagnosed by a dentist. I would take full advantage of the fact that you are away to go and get a second opinion. A&e or a drop in clinic. I would say you definitely need to get this rechecked though as there are now further symptoms

Backingvocals Mon 13-Jun-16 13:20:41

On the one hand, I notice my children's faces are often a bit lopsided. I think it's down to tiredness. On the other hand, I think you should get a second opinion. I'd be asking to see a neurologist.

PS. Handsome boy!

lucy101101 Mon 13-Jun-16 13:21:41

I'd be asking to see a neuro too.

originalmavis Mon 13-Jun-16 13:21:44

Can he talk and move his face ok? My brother had bells palsy and it was like that.

steppemum Mon 13-Jun-16 13:31:27

definitely check.
If you wait to see your own GP and they don't follow it up, please ask for a second opinion. Even another GP in same practice.

I think the recurring cloudy vision would be enough for me to want to check.
Dd had headaches, they sent me first to get vision checked, but when opticians said it was fine, they then sent us for more tests. The optician was just the first step in a ruling out process.

McCunty Mon 13-Jun-16 13:36:04

I would also get a 2nd opinion, I can see what you mean, Bell's palsy was my first thought.

BuntyBlue Mon 13-Jun-16 13:43:14

I can see what you mean and thought Bells Palsy too. I would ring 111 and get him checked over by someone.

Just5minswithDacre Mon 13-Jun-16 13:48:06

What happens when you ask him to blink, grin broadly, wiggle his eyebrows? (Not all at once!)

feelingmiffed Mon 13-Jun-16 14:13:48

Can he blow his cheeks out?

I'm not a HCP but my son has regular neuro tests and this is one I always remember!

Just5minswithDacre Mon 13-Jun-16 14:15:10

I'm not an HCP either, but I think what they look for is symmetry of movement.

Do 111 if you're worried.

Boboma Mon 13-Jun-16 14:17:21

I think that you should get him checked out. With the eyes issues and one-sided weakness I'd be worried that the symptoms were (mini?) stroke related. I'm not trying to scare you, just want you to know that children can have TIAs or strokes (my DD has a rare disease with these effects and previous to her diagnosis I didn't realise that children could have strokes). I hope it's not so serious, but better to be sure. All the best.

hownottofuckup Mon 13-Jun-16 14:21:48

Can he raise his eyebrows on the dropped side?
I had that, it gradually got worse but didn't start off too bad. I could move my forehead on the affected side which ruled out bells palsy I'd actually had a small stroke.
I think you should seek medical assistance asap tbh.

Just5minswithDacre Mon 13-Jun-16 14:24:02

Hopefully OP's not come back because she decided to take him to a walk-in

bubblemcgubble Mon 13-Jun-16 14:24:11

Can he move all his limbs? Is he drowsy? Not sure what good will come of ringing 111 as think he needs to be examined by a doctor

. If 3 hours away from normal GP - walk in centre at a local hospital? I think it looks likely as bells palsy too but think you need to rule out other things too (my son had a stroke and his face changed - he had other FAST symptoms too though - facial drooping, arm weakness, speech difficulty)

MariaSklodowska Mon 13-Jun-16 14:30:06

I dont want to be alarmist but if that was my boy I would take him to A and E.

GlitteryFluff Mon 13-Jun-16 14:30:11

I'd call 111.

bubblemcgubble Mon 13-Jun-16 14:38:06

maria personally I don't think it's alarmist at all. My son's face changed suddenly. I rang 999 and unfortunately I was right.

bubblemcgubble Mon 13-Jun-16 14:39:59

(He did however also have limb weakness but the face was the thing I noticed straight away)

AnyFucker Mon 13-Jun-16 14:40:54

Bell's Palsy. Hopefully OP is seeing a doctor and getting some anti virals and/or steroids.

ihearttc Mon 13-Jun-16 14:41:55

It looks like Bell's Palsy to me as well.

DH has had it 4 times (rather unusual apparently to have it that many times!) and he looked exactly like that. His eye looks different that side as well. Get him to GP asap as if it is Bell's Palsy he will need treatment and it works better the sooner they start taking it.

fedupofpeppa Mon 13-Jun-16 14:56:44

I think you need this checked out so would call 111 and get their advice. When I was a teen I had some problems with my vision and my gp immediately sent me to the optician and told me to come back straight after. Nothing showed up at the opticians so gp sent me to the hospital that day to see a neurologist and I had scans and checks etc on the day to make sure it wasn't anything serious. Turned out to be a form of migraine without headache for me but some of the things they ask are around limb control etc. And they also checked to make sure you reactions were the same on both sides of the body including checking my face.

I am surprised your gp didn't take this seriously given what they did when I had similar symptoms but mine was years ago.

However like I said, I would get your son checked out again.

fedupofpeppa Mon 13-Jun-16 14:59:26

Actually I think 111 will probably just say a and e as it probably ticks their get checked quickly boxes so I would save yourself time and go to a and e or a walk in.

FrancisdeSales Mon 13-Jun-16 15:02:37

Bell's Palsy: inflammation of the nerve that goes to the face.

This is not a diagnosis just an explanation of what is happening if it is Bell's.

DH is a Neurologist and recommends you have DS seen by a Neuro.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now