Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickenpox Remedies

(9 Posts)
Dixiechick17 Sat 11-Jun-16 05:40:24

Hi,

My 1 yeat old DD has got chickenpox and is really battling with it. Her genitals and bum are absolutely covered and she has been dragging her bum accross the floor like a dog does with worms sad she's clearly on a lot of discomfort and has barely slept.

Looking for any advice to help with the itching, so far we've done oats in a stocking in the bathwater, then rubbed the gloopy stuff all over, Calamine lotion, sudacrem and aqueous cream. We're also giving her baby piriton and paracetamol.

Any tips gratefully received, we're on day 3

FreedomMummy Sat 11-Jun-16 05:47:19

You're doing everything right. If you're on day 3 you're probably hitting the worst of it so hold on in there as things should start to improve.
My DD just needed a lot of attention and cuddles and sleep. I had her in with me over days 2-4 at night and that seemed to calm her down.
Hope she feels better soon.

Dixiechick17 Sat 11-Jun-16 05:52:36

Thanks FreedomMummy, hopefully she'll start to feel better tomorrow then, we've bought her into bed with us the last two nights too, am hoping this is the worst part before it gets better.

Joneseygirl77 Sat 11-Jun-16 05:53:56

Try bicarbonate of soda in the bath as I found that worked well. Also poxcilin mousse is great for calming the itching on the body. I'd say days 3-4 were the worst for us for the itching part.

SweetElizaRose Sat 11-Jun-16 12:46:28

Poxclin?

Dixiechick17 Sun 12-Jun-16 09:01:01

Thank you, thankfully thwy are slowly scabbing over, we got the spray and mousse some itch relief cream from the doctors for her bits. They said it's a particularly bad case for her age,so glad she won't get ot again.

Maybenot321 Sun 12-Jun-16 19:34:24

Try a lotion called virasoothe. Got it from the pharmacist last year when DS had CP.
It was fairly pricey but seemed to soothe the spots better than the calamine lotion.

Maybenot321 Sun 12-Jun-16 19:35:54

I also found Aloe Vera gel helpful

Dixiechick17 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:30:50

Thanks Maybe, picked some up yesterday, thankfully she has been more settled today as in actually slept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now