Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 yr old with constant runny poo and mucus

(4 Posts)
seahorse106 Fri 10-Jun-16 00:45:30

My lovely little dd who is 5 is having the most awful runny poo every day when she comes home from school. Sometimes she doesn't make it to the toilet in time bless her (this is very unusual for her been toilet trained since she was 2 1/2 ) and it's very watery and/or jelly like.
She doesn't have a tummy ache and she is acting perfectly normally, no temperature or anything like that.
Tonight when we were out she came over and said she'd pooed herself. It was basically a watery brownish jellyish substance in her knickers and when she said on the toilet I could hear a bubbling noise and she had a lot of mucus coming out of her bottom.
I'm obviously going to take her to the doctor but it's a nightmare getting an appt and I doubt I will get her seen.
Is there something I can give her OTC? We have a very busy weekend and I think it would be awful for her if it happens while we are at a party.

nocoolnamesleft Fri 10-Jun-16 02:17:35

I really wouldn't give her anything over the counter if there's mucus in it, as it implies the gut is already sore/inflamed, and so medicines designed to reduce her pooing might give her a lot of belly ache. Most common cause of loose poo with accidents is actually constipation (the watery stuff from higher up leaks past the rocks that can't move), but that usually isn't mucusy.

Hopefully just that she had a recent tummy bug and isn't fully over it (if it is that, cutting out dairy for a few weeks could make a big difference), but definitely needs at least a GP check up.

Iknownuffink Fri 10-Jun-16 02:49:21

Wee soul is being fed. Food that is poisoning her gut.

seahorse106 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:41:37

I was wondering about if it is some sort of food intolerance, she does eat a lot of dairy products.
I will try to cut it out and keep a food diary. She does have milk at school every day so I might ask them to stop giving it to her.

Thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now