Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dark urine in 10 year old

(9 Posts)
Mummytron Wed 08-Jun-16 20:15:57

My son went for a week earlier and didn't flush (usual!) when I went I noticed it was quite dark. He had said when he went he had a pain on the front of his right hip but it went off after 15 mins so I guessed that was wind.
I asked how many times he went to the toilet today and he said just once before school this morning, he hadn't felt the need.
Could this be dehydration and a case of getting him to drink a bit more?
I worry a lot so I'm panicking a bit.
He is fine in himself.
Thanks

Mummytron Wed 08-Jun-16 20:16:40

Obviously that should say went for a wee not week!

beautifulgirls Wed 08-Jun-16 21:04:02

Encourage him to drink more and then see if things improve. If you aren't sure then a trip to the GP and take a sanple in with you.

Stopyourhavering Wed 08-Jun-16 21:08:34

Sounds dehydrated... Been so warm last few days, he needs to drink more imo

lougle Wed 08-Jun-16 21:08:55

It's most likely that he hasn't been drinking enough with the warmer weather, so his urine has concentrated to conserve his fluid levels to reduce dehydration. It's a perfectly normal thing for his body to do.

Just encourage him to drink throughout the day (rather than having a big drink once or twice a day) so that he doesn't get constipated or get headaches (two of the most common symptoms of dehydration), and tell him that by the time he's actually thirsty he is already dehydrated.

Mummytron Thu 09-Jun-16 19:49:55

Took a sample in today and all clear.
Tonight it's yellow and not clear and he has drank more today.
Should I be worried? X

lougle Thu 09-Jun-16 20:13:36

No, you shouldn't be worried. His body will regulate his fluids according to his needs.

littlemonkey5 Thu 09-Jun-16 20:23:17

no, don't be worried, just make sure he drinks at least a litre of water/cordial a day.

When DD had a serious UTI, the DR said to give her blackcurrant and apple cordial because it stimulates the bladder and they wee more. She also said to fill an empty bottle for each of the children and label so I know they are drinking enough.

I told the teachers the DR said they have to drink the juice whilst at school and it must come home to be re-filled. No resistance from them so far (see, medical advice slightly stretched

Mummytron Thu 09-Jun-16 23:05:55

Will do thanks xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now