Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS suffering horribly with post-MMR rash, is it normal?

(6 Posts)
InWithTheOutlaws Fri 03-Jun-16 07:54:07

Really worried about DS...had his MMR 10-11 days ago, has had fever for a few days, yesterday developed measles like rash, grown worse since.....to the point he's been up all night, inconsolable, just howling and arching and scratching at himself. He's covered in it and just crying away, I can't comfort him.

I knew there was a chance of getting a mild rash, but wasn't expecting it to be so bad! Is this right? Should I call the GP or is this just what it's meant to be like? Other DC never got this reaction.

Any remedies to alleviate his discomfort?

Footle Fri 03-Jun-16 08:43:39

It's not meant to be like that at all. Get him to the GP today.

FIS2016 Fri 03-Jun-16 08:51:27

That sounds very unusual. Are you sure he hasn't got chicken pox as well? Id take him to the GP to be checked out.

Ticketybooboo Fri 03-Jun-16 08:59:10

My DS developed an autoimmune response following MMR. He'd be covered head to toe in hives whenever he got a viral infection. He did grow out of it after 2 years and now is rarely ill (the Dr. said he'd have a strong immune system as a result) but it was terrifying at the time especially before we understood what it was.

cestlavielife Fri 03-Jun-16 09:59:20

Go to gp
Try piriton etc
ask them to fill in yellow card to note the reaction

InWithTheOutlaws Fri 03-Jun-16 10:57:27

Tried piriton and calpol last night, didn't help him get a wink of sleep. DH just took him to GP, typically DS was absolutely quiet and not the least bit upset while there, GP says piriton and diagnosed ear infection....which he just finished antibiotics for yesterday and now has to start a new lot. Poor mite. He's back to screaming and scratching and flailing about again. Has thrown up the antibiotics as well. Am trying Poxclin now in hopes of soothing the scratching enough for him to get some rest - he can't go on without any sleep! Neither can I for that matter....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now