Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

how to get rid of head lice eggs stuck to hair shafts?

(43 Posts)
yoink Thu 02-Jun-16 13:29:58

I've nuked DS with full marks and I've combed and combed and combed him, but there's loads of eggs (?) still stuck to hairs and I can't shift them.

Any ideas?

Rainbow Thu 02-Jun-16 14:30:13

I can't help as I'm in the same position, but interested to read anyone else's posts flowers

yoink Thu 02-Jun-16 17:05:05

Let's have a bump for us both then!

bookwormbeagle Thu 02-Jun-16 17:07:51

It sounds disgusting but I sort of slide them down the hair shaft and dispose on a tissue. Nitty gritty comb gets most of the buggers, just make sure to thoroughly wipe comb after each sweep.

Longdistance Thu 02-Jun-16 17:08:14

Did you use a nitty gritty comb?

Hiddlesnake Thu 02-Jun-16 17:09:23

I second (third?) the use of Nitty Gritty combs. They are excellent.

bookwormbeagle Thu 02-Jun-16 17:09:37

Although if they're truly glued on I've heard that pouring a bottle of listerine over the hair, wrapping in cling film and leaving for 20 mins dissolves the glue.

EvansOvalPies Thu 02-Jun-16 17:11:54

When my DC were little, I didn't bother with any of the chemical treatments as they are really not that effective. Just use plenty (loads and loads) of conditioner, nit comb and some time to do the combing. It can be quite therapeutic, tbh. It is the best way.

MrsJayy Thu 02-Jun-16 17:12:13

You need a good nit comb i used bug buster but nitty gritty is the same conditioner and comb through clean comb onto a tissue also do it with your nails and do it every night for 2 weeks which is the cycle from egg to louse

BorisJohnsonsHair Thu 02-Jun-16 17:13:41

Put loads of conditioner on then go through and slide them off with your fingernails. Takes a long time, but works very efficiently, particularly if your DCs have fine hair, as the combs never seem to have close enough teeth.

EvansOvalPies Thu 02-Jun-16 17:13:55

Wrapping a child's head in cling film? Are you insane??? shock
How many children would allow that to happen without tearing it all off?

SocksRock Thu 02-Jun-16 17:15:37

My three are all fine with being wrapped in cling film... we have a serial non-treater of nits at our school, so they are a permanent fixture here.

quirkychick Thu 02-Jun-16 17:17:00

I was going to say nitty gritty too.

allegretto Thu 02-Jun-16 17:20:33

Nitty gritty doesn't work on the eggs on dd's hair so I do two treatments of oil 10 days apart - gets any live ones before they can lay.

FastWindow Thu 02-Jun-16 17:25:50

Second the liberal application of conditioner. They can't hang on.

I also put a bit of wax in ds hair, i have a theory that it stops them gripping, or kills them? Who knows. He hasnt had lice since though, horrible little #%/&@%!

FastWindow Thu 02-Jun-16 17:26:33

The swears referring to the lice, obviously, not ds! grin

EvansOvalPies Thu 02-Jun-16 17:42:49

We would just sit and I'd comb, DD would watch Scooby Doo on a Saturday morning. It was such a lovely bonding time grin

Also, a little bit of Tea Tree oil or lotion at the nape of their necks - headlice don't like Tea Tree!

I was a TA whilst DC were at school and once found a louse in my hair whilst bathing. I immediately leapt into action, conditioner and combs at the ready. But only I had the infestation (worked in Early Years, where they like to snuggle up when reading). DC had none at all grin grin grin

yoink Thu 02-Jun-16 18:39:37

I used a bug buster and the comb that came with the full marks solution. The bug buster wasn't fine enough but the full marks comb really hurt him, pulling his hair.

Is the nitty gritty comb better?

yoink Thu 02-Jun-16 18:41:23

Lol at FastWindow grin

FastWindow Thu 02-Jun-16 20:28:23

yoink yes a preview might have helped me there grin

Fourarmsv2 Thu 02-Jun-16 20:37:19

www.chc.org/homedir/thebugbusterkit.cfm

We used these combs - they're available on prescription or on minor ailments scheme too.

WipsGlitter Thu 02-Jun-16 21:07:46

We use nitty gritty. I out the hedrin in a wee spray bottle and comb it through. Wiping the comb on a damp piece of kitchen roll in between. You get to see them all on the paper. So satisfying!!!!!

MrsJayy Thu 02-Jun-16 21:19:24

Its going to hurt means its doing its job im afraid there is no gentle way to get the buggers conditioer helps

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Thu 02-Jun-16 21:21:45

In my experience, even nitty gritty won't get them all. I use it but then pick over with fingers when their hair is dry. It's the only way

DrAdmin Thu 02-Jun-16 21:27:05

Would hair straighteners work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now