Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Poorly 4 year old. Wait it out or get her seen?

(13 Posts)
MrsKCastle Tue 31-May-16 16:12:51

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm fussing over nothing, but always lose perspective when my DDs are I'll! Please reassure me.

DD2 is almost 5. She was absolutely fine on Sunday, but woke up feeling sick Monday morning. Since then she's had:
On/off temperature
Very tired, complete lack of energy
No appetite, has eaten a few mouthfuls each day.
Drinking with some encouragement.
Been sick a couple of times (but not like a stomach bug IYSWIM)
Wanted the light switched off as too bright (but only mentioned this once)
Coughing a lot

She doesn't have any particular areas of pain but just seems to feel generally unwell. I'm assuming it's just a virus which will pass, and that she doesn't need GP unless she stops drinking/temp gets too high.
What do you think?

Buggers Tue 31-May-16 16:15:39

Yeah don't take her to the GP unless she gets worse, she just sounds like she has a virus. There's been a lot of what your describing going around lately. Hope she feels better soon, probably be back to normal in the next few days.

Itsaplayonwords Tue 31-May-16 16:18:34

Her lack of energy is probably down to not eating very much now, or at least in part. You said she's drinking with encouragement - is she just having water? Or will she have some fruit juice? Ideally if you could get her to have some lucozade that'll help to get some sugar into her. Has she still been going to the loo? I'm not sure what the guidelines are with four year olds (mine is 2 and I just know to count wet nappies) but dehydration is obviously your biggest concern right now. I'd personally try to get an appointment with the GP if she's no better tomorrow morning and in the meantime just try to keep her fluids up. Hope she feels better soon, you feel so helpless when they're ill.x

lavenderdoilly Tue 31-May-16 16:19:40

The light thing would make me twitchy. Keep a close eye on her overnight.hope she feels better soon .

Buggers Tue 31-May-16 16:21:01

Forgot to say my 4yr old had this a month ago. Was fine after 48hours. Try some icepops with her.

MrsKCastle Tue 31-May-16 16:30:43

Thanks all. Just as I posted she mentioned the light thing again and asked me to put the blind down so I'm on the phone to 111.

I think you're right that she's fine, just needs to rest and get over it.

Buggers Tue 31-May-16 16:43:09

I don't want light on when I feel like craps though. Nobody does, when you feel sick and lethargic you want a nice dark room.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 31-May-16 16:47:52

111 w8ll talk you through the symptoms of meningitis. Ibv the light is a worry nut generally accompanied by other symptoms. You are doing the right thing getting professional advice. x

Itsaplayonwords Tue 31-May-16 16:56:45

Ultimately you know her best and you have to trust your instincts. I haven't found 111 overly helpful in the past - they've always told me to take your DD to A&E, but I appreciate they'd rather err on the side of caution. If you don't get anywhere with them could you try calling your GP surgery - mine are really good and if it's urgent they'll get a doctor to phone you between appointments and then bring you in if need be.

MrsKCastle Tue 31-May-16 17:01:46

Thanks again. At this point my instinct is that it is just a virus, it's just horrible seeing her like this. Normally she's a little ball of energy who just doesn't stop talking, ever. Now she's just lying there, no interest in anything. sad

PresidentCJCregg Tue 31-May-16 21:56:32

How did you get on with 111?

Frazzled2207 Tue 31-May-16 22:24:46

Hi. My nearly 3 yo had exactly this about 2 weeks ago. Doc diagnosed virus, he's fine now. I also got scared by the wanting me to turn the light off thing. He is now booked in for meningitis jab privately.

MrsKCastle Tue 31-May-16 23:14:10

111 weren't worried, they said the light sensitivity thing would be much more obvious if it were anything to worry about. She's sleeping now, I just hope she perks up a bit tomorrow as she had been so miserable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now