Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Torticollis and plagio

(7 Posts)
GothicRainbow Sat 28-May-16 22:11:15

I took my 9 week old DS2 to see a cranial osteopath last week and he's diagnosed him with torticollis which has led to a flat head as he has been sleeping/resting his head in one position all the time.

The CO has said he wants to do 6/7 weekly sessions to help and has advised me to carry my DS2 in a sling as much as possible and ensure he has tummy time at every awake time.

Is there anything else I can do to help? He did mention that I could get a pillow for DS's cot & Moses basket but the thought of a pillow makes me very nervous!

MoonlightandMusic Sat 28-May-16 22:30:40

Did the CO give you specific exercises for him? Small child here had torticollis when a baby and the physio gave us a set of daily neck/shoulder exercises for home - it did take about six weeks (three visits over that time to check progress) before being given the all clear.

Also, I'd get them to talk you through the rationale for the sling use (and which sling too - some are going to be more or less supportive for the issue I'd imagine).

flutterby77 Sun 29-May-16 05:26:38

The key is to always encourage him to look in the other direction. When I lay my son down I used to prop him on one side to force him to only look the other way. It took around 6-8 weeks to see a difference. The physio also said to hold him outwards to prevent him holding his head against you on one side.

GothicRainbow Sun 29-May-16 10:07:56

The sling use was to get the pressure of the side of his head and also to encourage him to turn his head the other way (currently using a stretchy and looking to get a woven soon)

Yes I was also advised to hold him outwards when carrying him around during awake time

Kanga59 Mon 30-May-16 23:31:55

I got a special mattress for our crib that was sort of wavy. can't recall the name but Google flat head mattress. It was fab as were the exercises. your baby will be fine. at 9w and you're already treating it, it will level back

Kanga59 Mon 30-May-16 23:33:52

sleep curve mattress!

GothicRainbow Thu 02-Jun-16 12:05:23

Thanks for the recommendation Kanga, we're off to the CO again today so hopefully he will be pleased with our progress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now