Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can you get chickenpox twice?

(9 Posts)
Joneseygirl77 Thu 26-May-16 13:30:05

DD 2.1 had chickenpox about 7 weeks ago. She had a bad dose- she was covered and had them all over. She's started with a snotty nose and cough this week- same symptoms as last time. She has still got some scars on her tummy/back too. Nursery have just called to say they've noticed a couple of spots on her face, tummy and back and think they look like pox.

Can they get it again so quickly? Any thoughts on what else it could be? Hfm is doing the rounds but her hands/feet are clear. I will try and get a GP appt for her but just in case I can't- any thoughts?

HallowedMimic Thu 26-May-16 13:33:52

You certainly can catch it more than once, and I suppose there isn't any reason why there'd have to be a particular gap between infections.

It would be very bad luck though.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 26-May-16 13:35:32

Yes, some people can definitely get it more than once. Often these people do not become immune from the vaccine either. Whether or not she could get it again so quickky, I don't know, hope your GP can help you out with that. Poor little thing!

jimijack Thu 26-May-16 13:35:35

You can get it more than once.
I would ring gp for a telephone consultation rather than go for an appointment, thinking of pregnant women/chemo/immunocompromised patients in waiting rooms with chicken pox child.

Also have a look on nhs choices website for advice.

It's all the same treatment at home, fluids, calpol,cuddles and antihistamine for the itching. Baths to soak and avoid infection in the spots.

AnotherUsernameBitesTheDust Thu 26-May-16 13:37:31

Yes. DS5 had them, very mildly. Two weeks later his brother got it, and then two weeks after that his other brother got it and he had it all over again but was covered that time, poor boy.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 26-May-16 13:45:15

Yes, my DS has had them twice. I would get a GP appointment (ideally over the telephone) to talk through the advice. Getting them in quick succession can sometimes make things worse, so I'd want to speak to the GP at least for some reassurance.

Joneseygirl77 Thu 26-May-16 14:31:51

Thanks all.

She had such a bad dose last time that I didn't think she could get them again. I've got a GPs appt as they want to see her due to her having them so recently. They've got me a side room to wait in so I'm hoping it's just a viral rash as she was very poorly last time.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 26-May-16 14:39:25

I've had chicken pox thirteen times and counting. I hold no immunity, the immunisation didn't help. Thankfully, I don't get it often now because it's rare to be around it as an adult.

I think, unfortunately, if you're one of us lot that doesn't get immune and can continuously contract them, it gets worse each time. Although to be honest, I can't remember any outbreak having any variance at all - I don't ever think that it's light or particularly bad, it's just the same.

I hope she's alright!

Joneseygirl77 Thu 26-May-16 17:00:31

Thanks all.

Saw GP and he doesn't think it is chickenpox. She's got a high temp, sore tummy, back and neck and red ears so he thinks it's a ear infection so we've got anti-bs so she'll be on the mend soon.

He said the pox twice is very unlikely- possible but very unusual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now