Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken Pox help

(9 Posts)
TooShyShyHushHush Tue 24-May-16 18:32:21

DS (7) has chicken pox. The spots started on Sunday and are still coming strong.

Today they have been appearing in his mouth and from what I can see his throat too. Is there anything I can do about these ones? He's started getting quite upset about his throat in particular.

Also, a few of them have gotten very red in quite a large area around them. They are weepy or pussy looking but have this boarder. Do they sound infected?

Would the GP see us about chicken pox?

TooShyShyHushHush Tue 24-May-16 18:35:09

Not sure I made sense. The pictures not very clear because he's fidgeting around uncomfortable bless him.

TooShyShyHushHush Tue 24-May-16 20:14:22

Spotty bump

Onsera3 Tue 24-May-16 20:22:29

Chicken pox can become infected and thousands of children need medical attn in UK for them each year.

Also if it gets severe they do have antiviral medication for it- like they have for herpes, shingles.

I'd definitely seek advice.

TooShyShyHushHush Tue 24-May-16 21:18:41

I'll give the GP a call in the morning.

Will they let me down there if he's contagious?

TragicallyUnbeyachted Tue 24-May-16 21:24:11

They may have a room where he can wait away from other people - if you call in advance they can let you know.

Kummerspeck Tue 24-May-16 21:27:06

More spots develop and they itch more where the skin is warm so keeping him cool will help. Let him have a lolly ice, ice cream or cold drinks to help his mouth and throat

MaryPoppinsPenguins Tue 24-May-16 21:31:08

I'd definitely go to the GP, my daughter had some in her eyes and mouth that they wanted to check out. They knew she had chicken pox and had a separate room for us to wait in.

Parietal Tue 24-May-16 21:56:35

ask the pharmacy - piriton was great for chicken pox in my kids & reduces the itching / swelling
the pharmacy can also advise if it is worth seeing the GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now