Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dental braces for DS 17yrs who does martial arts and football, advice please!

(7 Posts)
alaspoorderek Sat 21-May-16 17:21:22

Hi, DS is soon to have some milk teeth removed as his adult teeth haven't come through and he needs braces to sort this out.

I am dreading the whole thing for him as it is but even more so as he does karate and football every week and other sports. Does anyone have any advice about how best to protect his mouth, where to go for gum shields and what is the best thing? The doctor at the hospital wasn't that much help. Thank you.

Andro Sat 21-May-16 19:46:59

He'll probably need an ortho-guard, they're mouth guards designed to go over braces (fairly commonly worn now by teen rugby players). His orthodontist should be able to advise on the type and where to get one.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 19:47:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Sat 21-May-16 19:49:17

As for braces, are invisiline an option? DP had these and as well as being aesthetically better than train tracks you can take the in and out, so could be good for sports...

Chickpeachick0 Sat 21-May-16 19:49:53

Mine both have mouth guards from the orthodontist . Have had a few bangs ( Rugby & football ) but so far so good .

AuntieStella Sat 21-May-16 20:06:21

Ds2 has fixed braces, but his main sport does not require a mouth guard (whether you've braces or not)

Probably worth trying one of the OPRO 'boil and bite' ones made for those with braces. You'll need to discard more often (because refitting after every brace adjustment is likely to be needed) but it really doesn't seem worth shelling out for fully fitted when the orthodontic work means the teeth will move so they need a new fit. All depends on exactly what is being done in your DS's mouth, though, and how often they expect they will adjust the brace.

alaspoorderek Thu 26-May-16 07:56:51

Sorry I've been off MN few days but thank you for all your replies and advice, you've been helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now