Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cranial osteopathy in Kent - help!

(20 Posts)
fliss14 Thu 19-May-16 13:04:46

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. My Dd has the dreaded silent reflux, she is currently on Gaviscon (after trying a few other things) which has helped but not completely - we would really like her (and us) to have a peaceful night sleep without the loud choking noises and thrashing around . I have been reading about a link between reflux and a fast delivery. Apparently cranial osteopathy may help, can anyone recommend a qualified osteopath who has experience with babies in Kent?

Thank you!!

CoteDAzur Thu 19-May-16 13:08:27

Cranial osteopathy is woo and can't help, except to separate you from your cash. Reflux has nothing to do with cranial plates. Hovering hands over the neck does nothing to the skull or to reflux, which is a digestive track issue.

Elevate your baby's head at night for better sleep.

fliss14 Thu 19-May-16 13:43:39

Hi CoteDAzur,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately she doesn't like her head being raised. We have pretty much tried everything and the cranial osteopathy keeps cropping up in searches. We are a little sceptical but it's amazing what lack of sleep drives you to!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-May-16 13:52:42

I don't know about Kent but in SE London, Hilly Fields there used to be the Sunshine Clinic which was very good, I've not been for about 10 years though. Worth a Google.

There was also a Clinic in Lee , SE14 I think which did CO for babies. Again, you'll have to Google,i haven't been for years.

You've been down the traditional route of seeing the GP I presume?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-May-16 13:54:22

[!http://www.thesunflowercentre.co.uk/]]

I got the name wrong!grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-May-16 13:55:07

www.thesunflowercentre.co.uk/

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-May-16 13:58:22

www.chc-lee.co.uk/contact/

CoteDAzur Thu 19-May-16 14:47:36

"she doesn't like her head being raised."

Have you tried putting her to sleep in a baby bouncer such as this one?

Alternatively, put a towel or two under the head part of her mattress.

fliss14 Thu 19-May-16 15:48:03

Thanks DameDiazepam, will definitely look in to these. Yep, the doc put her on Colief first which didn't work - as it's a reflux problem not a lactose problem but the Gaviscon is working to an extent. I know it's something she will have to grow out of but trying to ease the pain/discomfort for her as much as possible.

Thanks CoteDAzur, yes she loves her chair for about half and hour and then gets a bit agitated. Also I'm under the impression that she can't stay in it too long? We have tried rolled up towels under the mattress, cushions and elevating the moses basket too, all to different heights, this just seems to make her worse and more agitated. The only thing that really works is putting her on her side but I know she should be on her back.

piesoclock Thu 19-May-16 17:09:02

A good cranial osteopath will also look at your baby's whole alignment and diaphragm and treat the whole body. It is not just about fiddling with the cranial plates. They will look at the neck and shoulders too, for example and deal with any.tightness or restrictions. Its a whole body treatment.
it is not woo.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-May-16 17:19:50

I agree pies.

fliss14 Thu 19-May-16 17:55:20

Thanks Pies and Dame, that's what I read - they treat the whole body and her diaphragm may not be aligned properly. Docs and HV keep asking if she was delivered quickly so I'm guessing there must be some link.

JLoTheAstra Thu 19-May-16 18:05:00

I've been seeing Tanya McLeish for hip problems in pregnancy and she's been very helpful. I know she sees babies but I've no personal experience of her skills in that area tanyamcleish.moonfruit.com/ I've also heard good things about Stuart Korth in Tunbridge Wells but again, no personal experience. Good luck with it all!

piesoclock Fri 20-May-16 19:31:39

Often babies get birth injuries that we would never notice but can cause reflux, or a tendancy to favour one side, or just crying a lot. Osteopaths can fix the problem.
Hope you find someone good.

CoteDAzur Fri 20-May-16 21:47:42

How exactly do you think osteopaths "fix" a baby's physical injuries due to childbirth?

piesoclock Fri 20-May-16 22:57:55

By physical injuries I meant strains and stiffness in the muscles. I think they fix them in a similar way to how deep tissue massage therapists fix sore muscles. I don't know the full process behind it because I don't know much about anatomy and I'm not an osteopath.

Osteopathic treatment is hands on, not hovering hands over the affected area. You get prodded and pushed and pulled.
I saw an osteopath throughout my second pregnancy to treat my misaligned pelvis and pgp. After each appointment I could feel my pelvis was no longer on the wonk and I had a good week of no pain. Post-natally my osteopath has treated my stiff crunched up shoulders and dealt with my pelvis again. When my then 4 month old son was not turning his head equally in each direction, he favoured one side, I took him to my osteopath and after the first session his neck was freed up and he was able to look both ways far easier.

I think osteopaths work.

CoteDAzur Fri 20-May-16 23:08:29

I know what osteopaths do, thank you. That is not the same thing as cranial osteopathy, though.

Osteopathy is an actual technique.

Cranial Osteopathy is woo, where practitioners claim to feel and "regulate" the subtle pulse of the fluid surrounding the brain.

austenozzy Fri 20-May-16 23:16:06

Agree with cote, there is zero plausibility to cranial osteopathy. Infants heads & neck shouldn't be manipulated like that.

My dd had reflux. We used thickener in her feed (baby rice iirc, but it was years ago and I've had a few drinks and can't quite recall!). That helped.

fliss14 Sat 21-May-16 09:17:30

Thanks Jlo, just looked in to Stuart Korth and he is exactly what we are after.

Thanks Pies, always good to hear actual experiences.

Thanks for the help and positive responses.

TheBlessedCheesemaker Wed 25-May-16 22:55:50

Dan Brown in whitstable was great with both of mine.

We also bought a baby hammock for DC to sleep in. No idea if they are still in vogue but worked well for our reflux baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now