Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7 year old with bad tartar and receding gums

(6 Posts)
Millionairerow Wed 18-May-16 16:54:12

I've got an appointment with the dentist tomorrow but he was just there in February. I make him do his teeth every day but the brushing is obviously not that effective. How can I ensure this doesn't build up? I have been using floss sticks too but these are his second teeth. He does have fruit juice and sweets but not excessive amounts. Any suggestions?

AveEldon Wed 18-May-16 18:42:36

brush twice a day
you need to do one of the brushings to ensure effectiveness

you could try doing disclosing tablets as they will show where he is missing

BIWI Wed 18-May-16 18:44:16

Stop the fruit juice altogether. It's the worst thing you can give them apart from, possibly, Coke.

Get him an electric toothbrush and make sure he brushes for two minutes each morning and each evening.

And make sure you have a fluoride toothpaste - Colgate Total is a really good brand to have.

dementedpixie Wed 18-May-16 18:54:39

Fruit juice is fine with a meal once a day. Agree with electric toothbrush suggestion

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 18-May-16 19:00:09

Good fluoride toothpaste and you do one of the brushings. Has he ever been shown how to brush properly? For example he should not be rinsing at the end.

Lose the fruit juice and cut right back on the sweets.

Wolfiefan Wed 18-May-16 19:01:36

If his teeth are cleaned properly twice a day then there won't be an issue.
Once tartar forms it will need a dental to scrape it off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now