Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should my toddler fast for her blood draw?

(7 Posts)
SakuraM Sat 14-May-16 19:58:02

Hello,

DD (32 months old) will have a blood draw on Monday and I'm wondering if she needs to fast. They will be looking for Glucose/ Diabetes among others. The GP's note doesn't mention anything about fasting.

Also, if anyone can please give me some tips as to how to prepare her for the blood draw; I've been dreading the day of the test for a long time now.

From where exactly will they draw her blood? does the numbing solution they normally apply on the area really work?

Thanks for your help.

A Worried Mum

Chaseisace Sat 14-May-16 20:01:47

Is she definitely having venous bloods and not finger prick? If it's venous then they will use the numbing stuff and it does work really well. My dd didn't even notice that she had a cannula put in! They are well used to taking blood from children and are brilliant at distracting. Is she getting them done at a childrens hospital?

SakuraM Sat 14-May-16 20:16:51

Chaseisace

Yes definitely venous bloods. She is getting them done at the paediatric unit of a hospital.
Thanks for letting me know about the numbing stuff; I'm still concerned about her starting to panic as soon as she sees the nurse/ needle though...

Wolfiefan Sat 14-May-16 20:21:09

When my DS had bloods (Lots of bloods done!) they applied numbing cream, then he sat on my lap and I read a huge picture book to him. If I held it open it meant the person taking his blood could do it without him seeing. We also had bubbles being blown and he had to pop some.
Sounds overkill but the alternative was sitting on him!

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Sat 14-May-16 20:27:09

Op you need to check on the glucose test. They may want her to fast or if not they will need to know how long since she ate/what she ate. I'd ring and find out or the rest will not be accurate. cakechocolate for your DD. Have a lolly or other treat ready on the day smile

Chaseisace Sun 15-May-16 08:28:50

Honestly op, they are well used to doing it. They will most probably ensure she doesn't see the needle. Good luck and the most important thing is that she doesn't see that you are nervous/ worried and she will pick up on that. Trust the staff they do it all the time. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

SakuraM Fri 20-May-16 14:30:54

Hello!

Thanks a lot for your replies. DD had her blood draw at last; she started screaming as soon as the nurse tried to touch her...and didn't stop until we left!

It's over, thank God!

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now