Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Otoplasty (ear pinning)

(13 Posts)
HalloweenQueen1 Fri 13-May-16 09:36:58

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone's Dc have had this procedure?? Dd is due to go in for it next week and I'm really nervous about it. She's 8 now and has been having problems at school some name calling in regards to her ears protruding it had got to the point she was using sellotape at school to stick back her ears sad I didn't know this until the teacher told me. So after a visit to my go (it was appointment for myself not Dd I just had her with me) the dr noticed her ears and said they were quiet bad and referred her for the otoplasty, that was last year. So it's happening next week and I just feel so apprensive about it I think because its cosmetic and not medical IYKWIM- so would love to hear some advice if any of your Dc have gone through it - was it very painful after?? Was it successful? And any tips on after care, how long was recovery?? Thanks so much

A very nervous Halloween Queen smile

AnthonyPandy Fri 13-May-16 09:40:59

I have seen an otoplasty being performed (if that's the right way to phrase it), if that's any help? It was performed as a day case.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 13-May-16 09:42:36

Hi OP, no children that have had it but DP did when he was around 15, so a bit older but I imagine healing time etc will be similar.

DP said the procedure was painful, but he had to wear a compression band around his head for several weeks after to hold them in place whilst healing and this helped with the pain, and he was given pain meds too.

He was fully healed in about 6 weeks, but I will say that even now, 25 years on he gets pain in his ears when it's cold, so wears a hat to combat this.

He's so pleased he had it done, and always says he would be happy for our DC. to have it done if they needed it, though DD2 has my ears so will have to wait and see for DC3!

I hope it all goes well!

AnthonyPandy Fri 13-May-16 09:44:08

The child came into hospital about 9ish, I can't remember what time the op was but they went home in the late afternoon after waking from the GA and eating and drinking something. The head was bandaged in theatre, including under the chin and there was (I think) no PE for a few weeks (???) and no contact sports for one term.

sarahandemily Fri 13-May-16 09:49:11

I had it done when I was about the same age (a long time ago now!) I'm sure there was some pain but I really have no memory of it. The only thing I remember is being made a big fuss off and enjoying having time off school and going to stay with my granny. I am so so glad my mum decided to have it done. I was starting to feel self conscious like your dd and can only imagine that would have got worse. Never had any problems with my ears since

HalloweenQueen1 Fri 13-May-16 10:20:46

Thanks everyone, that's really reassuring to read {SarahandEmily} I'm glad you have no real memory of it but that it was successful and she will be completely fussed over wink is it a long procedure {Anthony}?? That's good to hear {whatthefreak} that you would consider it for your own dc, I just feel like because it's not a medical problem that it's unnecessary but it will make her happier I'm sure - just hate the thought of her going through it. Thanks for the reassurance everyone smile

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 13-May-16 13:27:30

DP was bullied terribly at boarding school over his ears, having this op was life changing to him as it gave them nothing to tease him for anymore.

I agree it is cosmetic, but cosmetic things can be really detrimental to wellbeing and mental health so yes, if our future further DC inherit his ears and it made them unhappy, I would support them all the way.

DP said about the pain he gets- his surgeon said it's here damage that causes the pain when it's cold, and that is because he was much older when he had it done, so your DC would be unlikely to have this problem. Even if they did though, as soon as DP puts a hat on and covers them they are fine, and it's only when it's reeeeeeally cold smile

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 13-May-16 13:28:15

here damage?! nerve damage even!

ipsogenix Fri 13-May-16 19:26:18

Hi,

I had this operation when I was ten and it was really fine, and I don't think you need to worry.

The anaesthetic was not good for me but they are much better at giving ani-emetics these days, so you should be fine there. I woke up with a big bandage round my head which I was v. embarrassed about. Definitely no photos that week.

My Mum gave me a fantastic lego boat, which is really the important part of the whole procedure and should definitely not be missed out. That is all that matters.

The bandage had to stay on for two weeks. The stitches were a bit sore in the back of one of my ears because the end of the stitch was digging in but we went back to see the surgeon and he took them out early, so that was fine.

After two weeks the bandages were taken out and I was very very careful not to touch my ears as they were still healing.

The wonderful, glorious part of it was when I went back to school. The boy who had been bullying me said in a loud voice to all of my friends "I forgot that we haven't looked at [Ipsogenix'] ears yet today!" Then he came round behind me and very gently pulled my hair back behind my ears, and gasped (The scar must have been black at that point and quite shocking to see.) He never bullied me or called attention to my ears again. For bonus fun, he had the same operation 6 years later in secondary school.

This is a truly great operation and your dd will be really glad to have had it. I have beautiful neat ears now. Good luck! Look forward to years of beautiful hair styles and even earrings, and admiring boys in the teens and 20s.

x

HalloweenQueen1 Fri 13-May-16 20:47:09

Thanks everyone for all the lovely replies & tips I am feeling so much more relaxed about it now.
Aw Ipsogenix your story has left me a bit watery eyed I have to say I'm so glad it was so successful for you. My Dd has said exactly that to me that she wants to get her ears pierced after she's fully recovered because she'll like her ears again (makes me teary just typing that) so thank you so much for sharing your story & everyone for the great reassurance - I will update after she's gone through it smile

HRHlikeahornyponywould Fri 13-May-16 20:55:52

I had it done when I was about 6 I think. I had already had my ears pierced and they had to heal over.

I remember being off school for about a week and I had a huge bandage around my head.i did have funny looks from people.
The hospital was awful, it was an old military camp near Chepstow and next to me was a little girl who had been scaled by the hot water from her bath.

I remember going back to the hospital to have the bandages off and standing in front of the mirror, unveiling my new ears.

I hated the idea of having them done, but I'm so glad I had them done as young as I was. I was called dumbo etc.but I never think about it now. These are my ears, it only made me think when my two boys ears poke out. Their ears are not as bad as mine were.

HalloweenQueen1 Thu 19-May-16 12:18:20

Hi folks, just wanted to give a quick update DD had her op on Tuesday and it all went really well. She has her bandage on now for 2 weeks but the surgeon said he was very happy after the op. She was so brave, nearly broke my heart seeing her putting on such a brave face even though I knew she must have been very nervous and scared she was so determined to have it done. So fingers crossed now when the bandages come off it'll look ok. Thanks again for all your advice and stories, really appreciate the support smile

MyPeriodFeatures Thu 19-May-16 12:30:05

Hi, I had mine done 28 years ago. I'm so glad my mum did it.

I remember being mortified at the thought of anyone knowing why I was off school and telling my mum and teacher not to tell.

I ended up getting a get well card from all the class smile

I wore a huge bandage that looked like a helmet for what felt like weeks. My mum had to go back to work and I went to a neighbours house who took me dried flower arranging. It was the most boring day of my life and I remember sitting on some unknown persons sofa and picking the wads of dried blooded bandage from the back of my ears and shoving down the back of the cushions.

Yes, go ahead and hopefully thinks have moved on since the helmet bandage. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now