Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Great Ormond Street Hospital

(10 Posts)
bobblewobble Thu 12-May-16 12:54:59

Hi I wonder if anyone has any experience of travelling and waiting lists etc at this hospital? We are in South Wales so a fair drive away.

My daughter has been referred there for a procedure which from what I have read takes 8 hours but she will have a general anaesthetic first. I don't know how long we will be there. Money is tight and I have seen car parks costing over £40 for 24 hours :O A standard day of parking near me wouldn't cost more than £5.

I've looked into trains but could no way afford more than £200 just for the train sad

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 12-May-16 16:30:54

My daughter is under cardiology there,my son was also on a research project too. We travel by train and have a Family and Friends discount travel card, helps reduce cost.
Train travel may not be an option if she has a GA though.
I know there is a finance office where you can get fares refunded ( we got this for the research visit) but it maybe for people on low incomes.

Chippednailvarnishing Thu 12-May-16 16:35:06

It might be cheaper to get a travel lodge or cheap hotel with a car park - it would also save you a long drive twice in one day. If you book far enough in advance it should be much cheaper.
Call GOSH and see if they have any suggestions?

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 12-May-16 16:40:53

If you look on the GOSH website they have info on parking...sorry can't link it for you.

Fiddlerontheroof Thu 12-May-16 16:41:07

We've travelled from South Wales to GOSH on several
Occasions, the train is nowhere near £200 if you book in advance and a railcard should take it down too.

There are lots of travelodges locally, and I'd also enquire about accommodation with the hospital

There also a travelodge at Cricklewood with good access to kings X that is £8 for 24 hrs parking X

TheCrumpettyTree Thu 12-May-16 17:46:00

Parking you can get refunded from the transport office in the hospital. They also have family accommodation which as you're travelling from so far you should be able to get. Call GOSH switchboard and ask to be put through to accommodation or speak to your consultant's secretary.

bobblewobble Thu 12-May-16 21:07:20

Thank you for your replies. Her consultant didn't know when she would get her appointment and said it could be short or long notice so may not be able to book too far in advance. Hopefully we will receive a letter from GOSH to say she is on the waiting list and roughly how long it will be.

I will look into a railcard and travel lodges (in particular the one in Cricklewood) but will enquire about family accommodation when we know the plans for her stay for sure. Thanks

She is nearly 6 years old and although very light I don't think her Dad or I could carry her too far if she was groggy after a general anaesthetic. Her last general she was very tired and week for around 3/4 days. I hadn't however considered that when we were looking into train travel.

I think we are just over the threshold for what is classed as a low income family. It's just a shame she can't have this procedure nearer to home. Would be so much easier but we have been ensured how amazing they are in GOSH, so hoping they will be able to sort her out.

Does anyone know if both parents are allowed to stay with their children? We were both allowed when she had her op in a local hospital.

Thank you all

TheCrumpettyTree Fri 13-May-16 02:17:45

Only one parent is allowed to stay at the bedside. Whether all wards enforce this I don't know but that's the hospital's policy, so expect that. Once you've got your date you can ring the parent hotel and find out what they have available. One of you will need to stay in there overnight if one of you is at the bedside.

bobblewobble Fri 13-May-16 11:04:52

Ok thank you. I was hoping we could both stay but can understand if that isn't allowed. Will definitely confirm with them beforehand.
Thank you for all your help!

Chippednailvarnishing Fri 13-May-16 11:13:30

Maybe ask about Ronald McDonald house? They can sometimes offer overnight accommodation...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now