Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

severe hay fever reactions

(3 Posts)
thebabydances Sat 07-May-16 20:07:27

Does anyone have experience of severe hay fever reactions? Such as anaphylactic reactions? Hives? How have you managed them long term? Have doctors been sympathetic or have you been a bit fobbed off? What age did reactions begin? Did your child grow out of them? If so, when?

Muskateersmummy Sat 07-May-16 20:10:55

Dd had a very severe hayfever reaction, huge facial swellings especially around her eyes. She was about 11 months. She was given antihistamines in hospital and the GP immediately started her on daily piriton during the hayfever season.

It's now much more manageable, runny nose, itchy eyes and worsening eczema. She takes piriton twice a day. The build up effect of it in her system works well. We minimise things like not drying her sheets on the line outside, and take the piriton with us if we are spending the day outside just in case.

thebabydances Sat 07-May-16 20:45:17

Thank you. I feel like I'm imagining it all. Will get him back to the doctors this week. I have only been giving piriton as and when I feel he needs it as the rest have mild hayfever but he has facial swellings and spells of severe hives and eczema. The last episode had us rushing to hospital with swollen shut eyes and saying it hurt to breathe. He was very bad for over a week that time with steroids and antihistamines given religiously to bring the reaction down. I guess part of me is worried it will get worse as he gets older and then I start thinking do we need an epipen? Inhalers? With such a severe reaction to something I can't control (in the same way as I would say a peanut allergy) it really concerns me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now