Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Really worried about ds please help

(6 Posts)
summerdreams Thu 05-May-16 13:26:33

My 21 month old ds has neutropenia and Hypogammoglobuleneamia (immune deficiensey) he was unwell last friday abit lethargic and not him self and as this monday he is meant to be going in to hospital for 4 days of tests and a genral anaesthetic I took him to the gp who perscribed clarithromycin due to his history to clear up whatever was brewing.

Well 6 days later and everyone in the house has a kind of virus sore throat, heavy cold etc... ds exactly the same.

Today he is extremely lethargic hasn't been out of bed allthough alert just wont walk, now I would have had him at the gp this morning but they close at 1 today and you have to ring at 8.50 to get an emergency appointment and we were not up at this time and they don't do call backs on thursday now I would take bim to a&e but he had a cerial bar and some milk and was alert allthough now back to sleep but his behaviour is highley unusual.

My question is would you take him to a&e he has no fever but we've had no fever and a bacterial infection before I understand this is common with Hypogammoglobulinemia, I dont know what to do?

IwillrunIwillfly Thu 05-May-16 13:40:07

With his history i think its totally reasonable for you to be worried about him, but thats good he's had something to eat etc. Dont know where abouts you are, but could you call nhs24/nhs direct for some advice and see if they could get you an appointment with out of hours? either that, or is he seen reguarily by a consultant/on a local childrens ward? If so could you maybe try and call them and see what they would advise? I'd prob leave a and e as a last resort but only because it could mean a lot of hanging about waiting when hes feeling miserable, but trust your instincts and if you cant get seen anywhere else and you're worried take him to get checked out. Hope you're all feeling better soon.

lougle Thu 05-May-16 13:51:25

If you are worried about him and his behaviour is unusual, get him seen however you have to.

Miloarmadillo1 Thu 05-May-16 13:56:58

I'd phone NHS direct and see what they advise, but it sounds like he needs to be seen today. Next time you see the consultant ask about having a plan in place for this type of situation. My daughter has a neurological condition and was immunosuppressed by her medication - we were given 'open access' to the neuro ward which meant we could go straight in if we were worried, bypassing A&E.

summerdreams Thu 05-May-16 13:57:42

Thanks, I have an out of hours near me but due to an extremely bad experience with them about ds it is not an option. I have the mobile number of who ever is on call in peads a&e due to my sons on going medical problems. im going to give it an hour I think try and wake him and get him to play but if he still wont get up im going to ring them.

summerdreams Thu 05-May-16 14:49:17

miloarmodillo1 I've heard other people talk about open access to the childrens ward but all we've ever been given is the on call peads phone number allthough when we ring they prepare a room for him and given priority to be seen by a pead quickly.

I used to have an immunology nurse number and heamatology nurse number but my phone broke last week and I don't have it but to be honest there advise is usually go to to your local a&e.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now