Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Desmomelt for 7 yo DD Bedwetting

(9 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Tue 03-May-16 22:17:35

WDD has been drinking 1400 ml of water a day and regularly going to the toilet but over the past 4 weeks we've only had 5 dry nights.

The school nurse has advised that we carry this regime on for another 2 months and then use medication - Desmomelt.

Has anyone's child used this?

BackforGood Tue 03-May-16 23:02:52

My dd (who is quite a bit older) uses it occasionally (for example when she is going away on camp).
The school nurses said she shouldn't take it for a period longer than 3 months though, so I don't think it's a long term solution

<Disclaimer - I'm no medic>

BaconAndAvocado Thu 05-May-16 17:41:11

Thanks for your reply backforgood

That's disappointing, I thought it sorted it all out shock

Nothing else seems to have worked.....

NickNacks Thu 05-May-16 17:47:05

Yes my son took it for a year and he is dry for 18minths now.

The idea behind not taking it for longer than 3 months is that they come off it for one week to see if the hormone has kicked in yet and they can be dry by themselves. If not, they go back on it for another 3 months.

We couldn't get desmomelts as they had stopped making them (round here anyway) so he took desmotabs (tablets) instead.

LogicalThinking Thu 05-May-16 18:45:56

There is no medication that actually "fixes" this. The medication just manages it until the body is ready to take over.
My DS took them when he was away from home.
It sorted itself out over time.

readingrainbow Thu 05-May-16 18:50:17

We used the enuresis clinic for my then-10-yo-ds and their advice didn't help him at all. The only thing that worked was being consistent about using the toilet right before bed and waking him around midnight for another toilet trip. This waking thing was completely against their advice, but it worked. It's a hormone thing and it isn't an easy fix, unfortunately. I think ours was a combination of overcoming laziness and growing up that little bit more.

Shapebandit Thu 05-May-16 19:09:40

I think my DS would benefit from medication for things like sleepovers and camps also. He is 8.
Can you get it from the school nurse? Is it best to see her? Or is it a gp thing?

BackforGood Thu 05-May-16 19:30:21

GP prescribed it for my dd, Shapebandit

I may be wrong I often am but I don't think the school nurse can prescribe anything.

DingbatsFur Thu 05-May-16 19:34:36

My DS had similar issues and what worked was taking him to a hospital consultant (appointment booked as DS claimed he could not feel the urge to pee at all... Humm).
Dry as a bone the next day.
The consultant advised getting the children involved in stripping the bed and making it. He said that often this awareness helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now