Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

please tell me the truth about 9yo bedwetting

(12 Posts)
LifeIsGoodish Mon 02-May-16 10:29:42

9yo ds has never been dry at night. We've tried the alarm (at his request). Desmopressin does not work on him. We walk him to the loo when we go to bed, otherwise he overflows his nappy. There have been periods when his nappy was sometimes dry when we lifted him, but always wet in the morning, and periods when his nappy was wet when we lifted him (obviously we'd change it) and dry in the morning. More likely, however, is that his nappy is wet several times a night, and overflows at least twice a week.

He has chronic constipation, for which he has Movicol, Senna, and we've just started regular washouts as well. It doesn't seem to make any difference to the night time enuresis.

Otherwise he is fit, healthy, tall, everything is good.

He is beginning to find it humiliating. People found out at school and he has been teased.

I tell him that there are others in his year group, even if we don't know who. He is not the only one.

But TBH I don't know how 'normal' it is. Yes, I know that there are teens still struggling to be reliably dry at night. Yes, I know that puberty sorts a lot of these issues out. The enuresis clinic and constipation clinic are supportive and reassuring. But, really, every single night, multiple times a night, in an otherwise apparently healthy child?

Is there anyone else out there? Has anyone else been there and come out the other side?

Runningtokeepstill Mon 02-May-16 11:53:35

One of mine took until he was 11 then something seemed to click with his body and he didn't have problems after that.

Like your ds he was never dry at night. We tried alarms and reward schemes but basically he had no control over it. He did mostly respond to desmopressin when he was older though and didn't have the overflow problems you describe. He was and still is a very heavy sleeper. He's an adult now and doesn't have any after effects either physical or mental. Some other children knew at the time but it doesn't seem to have been a big deal.

Millionairerow Mon 02-May-16 13:21:11

My kids seem ok. Though we went round to a friends house this weekend and their son mentioned his bed wetting and he was 8 in December so it's probably more common than you think, my son is 7 and occasionally wets the bed but usually when he's not gone to the loo before bed. I hope for your sins own piece of mind he's dry soon. You are doing all you can. As for the teasing, if it's not that it's be something else.

Kittyrobin Mon 02-May-16 13:28:24

My 8 year old is the same as yours. He has dyspraxia I'm not sure if that is a factor in the besetting.
I will be going to doctor asap for a referral to the enuresis clinic. We haven't tried desmopression yet. I am reluctant due to the side effects. Hope to give the alarm a go soon. I went to the doctor a couple of years ago she said it was perfectly normal up to I think 10 years.

Everytimeref Mon 02-May-16 13:59:31

My step son is 14 and still wets the bed most nights. We have tried lifting him and stopped using pyjama pants to see if that helps. He still unreliable during the day too. Just can't hold it in so has "accidents" practically everytime we go out. Apparently the only thing doc has suggested is more liquid during the day and to re train his bladder. This doesnt work because he wont drink more for fear of having an accident. Its a vicious circle. Hopefully when he has gone through puberty he will stop.

SauvignonBlanche Mon 02-May-16 14:06:14

My DS wasn't consistently dry until he was 15.

He took Desmopressin which didn't 'cure' him but kept him dry until the early morning when he would strip off the top sheets and his pjs then get back into bed.

He just needed time.

PatriciaHolm Mon 02-May-16 14:11:11

DS is 10 and wets every night. The desmopressin has little affect so we are trying an alarm this week.

Bogburglar99 Mon 02-May-16 14:24:41

My DD is a little younger - rising 8- but still wetting all night every night exactly as you describe. Desmopressin has shown some result but limited. Alarm did SFA other than wear her out.

Think we just have to take comfort from the fact that the number of involuntary adult bedwetters is, I believe, minuscule.

LifeIsGoodish Fri 06-May-16 09:45:09

Everytime has your DSS been assessed for irritable bladder, or been treated with oxybutinin? It worked wonders for another of my dc.

PirateFairy45 Fri 06-May-16 09:47:22

My niece is 9 and wets overnight.

She's in pull ups overnight still.

Everytimeref Sun 29-May-16 09:56:31

My step son is on two types of medicines. Not sure what.
He is currently on a waiting list but its been a year and nothing. Mum doesn't seem bothered to chase his appointment up. The mum wet the bed until she was 19 so kind of believes nothing can be done. Dad has tired to intervene but gets no where.
My step son avoids school trips and doing anything outside the home because of the issues. He is extremely introverted. I find it very frustrating as nothing I can do.

soupmaker Tue 31-May-16 22:19:02

DD1 was wet every night until she turned 8. She wore pull ups and would often leak out of them. She asked to go with out pull ups and we said yes and then woke her up every night for a wee when we went to bed. Within a few months she was dry right through more often than not. Still had odd wet nights. She takes medication for chronic constipation and an irritable bladder. She's also a withholder which plays havoc with her being dry and clean in the daytime - sigh. Have some flowers and lots of wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now