Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried about my DD's very thin hair

(4 Posts)
Falcon1 Wed 27-Apr-16 15:32:09

My DD is 3.5 and has very fine, thin hair. It's quite long (at her shoulders) but there is very little of it and you can clearly see her scalp. I'm just a bit concerned because I have always had thin hair, suffered from dramatic hair loss when I came off the pill and now wear a hair piece. However, at 3.5, my hair was MUCH thicker than my DD's is now.

It's obvious that she has inherited my hair rather than my husband's incredibly thick hair (unfortunately), but do you think it will get thicker than it is now? Does anyone have experience of their child's hair starting off thin and then getting thicker? I just worry that she'll be self-conscious about it when she's older. She's always asking me for a plait like her friends - I can barely put it in a pony tail.

Sorry - I know there are more important things to worry about...

sadie9 Wed 27-Apr-16 17:04:10

My daughter had very thin hair too. We couldn't put in any type of pony tail til she was 5 or 5.5. It was very short and wispy more like an 18 mth old when she was 4 and starting school . We were buying all sorts of Disney wigs etc to play with as all she wanted was the hair. It did happen and its all fine now. Very long and you can't see scalp. Not really thick but it is curly ish so looks thicker.

Falcon1 Thu 28-Apr-16 10:27:03

That's good to know, thanks Sadie9.

ajandjjmum Thu 28-Apr-16 10:30:57

DD had incredibly fine hair - literally wisps until she was 3 or so - together with bad cradlecap.

It thickened up around 5, and is now absolutely normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now