Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Brief nephritis - are these latest urine results ok?

(3 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Wed 27-Apr-16 12:33:13

Ds(9) has had. problems in the past with kidney pain and unexplained blood and protein in urine. All seem to settle down until he has had a really bad case of flu. Started to pee urine the colour of cola. Practice nurse tested urine and confimed blood and protein present. I contacted the peaditrician that he has seen in the past as I am not really very happy with Drs diagnosis of possible infection. We had his uriine tested. A week later and all blood protein gone. Now seen paediatrician who decided that he must have had a brief episode of nephritis. Tested urine and told protein cretinine ratio 14 mg/mm. Don't want to google too much but what is the normal range for this ratio please? Is it normal to have protein +. ?

Haudyerwheesht Wed 27-Apr-16 13:24:23

I think over 3.5 signifies nephritis.

Buntingsmum Thu 28-Apr-16 13:31:42

I think so if the units you've written mg/mm is a shortened version of mg/mmol (which would make sense). My DD has an ongoing proteinurea issue. She is on medicine to target less than 50 mg/mmol as ideal/normal, so 14 sounds good to me. Before starting meds she was previously around 300 mg/ml which was described as nephrotic, +++ in dipstick. I'm not sure of the cut off for nephrotic, but my DD has ongoing levels around 100 and no change in Drs plan - that shows ++ in dipstick. Obviously, this is just another mums view - check with Dr if concerned. My DD has 3-4 monthly wee checks to measure this ratio, if that's helpful for you to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now