Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

8 week old with cold

(8 Posts)
EmmaMcNab Wed 27-Apr-16 06:45:11

Wondering if anyone had any advice on what I can do/give my 8 week old who has a cold to help him. He doesn't seem to have a high temperature and is still feeding but seems to be struggling bless him with mucus in his throat (so it sounds), blocked nose and a cough. Any advice will me very much appreciatedsmile

Artandco Wed 27-Apr-16 06:52:33

Take him into bathroom with you, run the shower or bath on hot with all windows and doors to room closed so the steam builds up. It will help clear his blocked nose

Also take him outside a lot ( wrapped up atm as cold) but the cooler fresh air will also allow him to breathe easier in general

Feed little and often. He will find it harder to breathe if nose blocked when eating as can't breather through mouth so better to let him feed a minute, then breathe, then try again

Eminado Wed 27-Apr-16 06:55:32

Saline solution in his nose

Then use a snot sucky out thingy (technical term of course)

Snufflebabes vapour rub

Calpol vapour plug in thingies.

Best snot sucker i found was like this one:
www.amazon.com/Squip-Inc-US801-NasaKleen-Aspirator/dp/B0039KHS2G

EmmaMcNab Wed 27-Apr-16 07:09:27

Thank you both for your advise I'll give all of that a go, I'll take him in the room with me when I shower in a sec and when the chemist is open will take him there and buy the things you have recommended. Hate seeing him ill bless him feel so helpless

EmmaMcNab Wed 27-Apr-16 07:09:52

Thank you both for your advise I'll give all of that a go, I'll take him in the room with me when I shower in a sec and when the chemist is open will take him there and buy the things you have recommended. Hate seeing him ill bless him feel so helpless

Eminado Wed 27-Apr-16 13:27:09

Is it his first cold? It is hard to see them ill

flowers

They recover very quickly though.

Orchidflower1 Wed 27-Apr-16 19:53:39

Hi Emma how is your little one?

EmmaMcNab Wed 27-Apr-16 21:51:13

Yes it's his first cold bless him, he's ok just unsettled and all snotty. Hoping he's better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now