Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Migraine for 48hrs+

(13 Posts)
Gatehouse77 Mon 25-Apr-16 15:41:23

My 15 year old DD has been prone to headaches all her life, particularly from excessive noise. So, a classroom where the noise level isn't controlled, cinema on occasion, etc.

She had a bug a couple of months ago with a headache and feeling sick (as did others in the family). Since then she has had headaches on/off but not enough to keep her off school.

This latest one started late Friday. She has been taking paracetamol regularly but it hasn't helped. I've tried to get her to alternate with ibuprofen but, historically, it has never worked for her so she has resisted.

Things she has tried -:

Darkened room - no change
Lots of liquid - no change
Hot bath - no change
Cold flannel on head - no change

Today she has had some paracetamol with caffeine. It reduced the pain for about an hour and a half but has not taken it away. She is watching the clock for when she can take more medicine.

I have made an appointment to see the GP on Friday with a view to cancel if needed.

So, I don't know if I'm being a slack mum and should be pushing for an earlier appointment? I have no personal experience of migraines and have no idea what is reasonable or not.

Also, 2 of my brother's friends died from brain haemorrhages so I am trying not to let those experiences affect my judgement.

MissBeaHaving Mon 25-Apr-16 15:45:45

Your poor Dd,migraines are awful!
If you are worried I would ring for an earlier appointment.
Also might be worth a trip to the pharmacy,I used to use Migraleve which is much better than standard pain killers,pharmacist will be able to advise if age appropriate but I would think it is.
Hope she feels better soon Op.

MissBeaHaving Mon 25-Apr-16 15:45:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gatehouse77 Mon 25-Apr-16 16:06:40

Forgot to say that I did speak to a pharmacist who said because of her age he wasn't comfortable suggesting any over the counter remedies.

Am also trying to keep DH in perspective as he had dreams last night which were about the worst possible outcomes!

lougle Mon 25-Apr-16 16:22:33

I think she needs to be seen at this point. I don't think it's reasonable to suffer a constant headache for a week without effective treatment (which it will be by Friday).

Does the headache have a focal point? If you can get her to tie a pair of tights around her head, tying the knot where it hurts most, then lying with her head on the knot, it might help.

MissBeaHaving Mon 25-Apr-16 17:14:54

I would get her seen if the pharmacist has said that,I suffer from migraines & I would be beside myself by now never mind Friday poor thing.
I think a child of her age with head pain that severe needs seeing ASAP.

Gatehouse77 Mon 25-Apr-16 18:07:47

I've phoned for an emergency appointment as she's now running a temperature and, frankly, she looks like shit!
Am waiting for the on call doctor to ring back...

MissBeaHaving Mon 25-Apr-16 21:45:50

Any news on DD Gatehouse?
I hope all is ok thanks

Gatehouse77 Tue 26-Apr-16 17:43:12

Thank you the replies and concern.

Last night we went to OOH Dr as she developed a temperature and fainted. Her right eye was also droopy. They rang the paediatric team at the hospital who asked her to go in. During the assessment she threw up.

Initially they were treating it as meningitis, just in case. A CT scan showed blocked sinuses. We were admitted so they could do blood cultures and administer IV antibiotics. Rough night and about 4:30am her eye began to swell.

So a trip to the ophthalmologist, change in antibiotics and meningitis ruled out. Phew!

Current diagnosis is sinusitis which has spread to the eye socket. Another CT scan tomorrow to see if there is any change and a likelihood of surgery to to clear the infections.

She's bored and knackered but in good spirits. (It does hurt to laugh but it's not stopping the jokes - I spy with my working eye grin)

MissBeaHaving Wed 27-Apr-16 00:14:45

Im so glad you managed to get her seen gatehouse! It sounds really nasty so I dread to think how she would've been If you'd tried to ride it out until Friday.
Hopefully she's well on the mend now & you can read a bit. winefor you & brewfor DD.

MissBeaHaving Wed 27-Apr-16 00:15:32

Aww damn iPhone !!
Relax not read haha

Pipsqueak23 Wed 27-Apr-16 00:31:21

Aww bless her. Hope she is on the mend soon and glad to hear she is in good spirits despite it all. flowers

Gatehouse77 Thu 28-Apr-16 07:10:12

Yesterday began with a slight improvement to the eye in that the swelling seemed 'flatter' and less tense. ENT Dr requested another CT scan but seemed pleased that the antibiotics were doing their job.

DH and I swapped over mid morning so I could come home and have a lovely hot shower and a break.

When I went back after supper with my other children her eye looked much redder and there was some swelling around the cheek bone. She had finally had the CT scan around 7pm which showed an abscess or collection of pus in the nasal/eye socket area.

So she will be having surgery this morning to drain it. Who's she is kind of looking forward to because it will mean she is on the road to recovery. The head/eye pain is not too bad although she finds the nights worse but is liking the codeine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now