Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tonsillitis and sore tongue (photo included)

(15 Posts)
ChuckyDuck Thu 21-Apr-16 21:42:32

Hi, hoping for some advice. My three year old has had a very sore throat the last couple of days, took her to the GP today who diagnosed tonsillitis and prescribed antibiotics.

She's now been crying in pain with her tongue, I've given her calpol and ibruprofen which has eased it a little. It looks really sore does anyone know what it could be? I don't know if it's related to the tonsillitis or if it's because she's run down, doc said her glands were up too. Thanks.

YokoUhOh Thu 21-Apr-16 21:52:31

Strep B infection (which causes Scarlet Fever/tonsillitis) causes sore tongue, too, I believe. Maybe try some Anbesol liquid to anaesthetise it a bit?

ChuckyDuck Thu 21-Apr-16 22:18:49

Thank you I will give that a try. She's not tolerating anything in her mouth at the minute, feel really sorry for her as she is hungry but can't physically eat anything!

Stom91 Thu 21-Apr-16 22:27:39

My DD was the same and suddenly became very very hot. The next day had a huge rash all over her body.
It ended Up being Scarlett fever. Which my mum they caught off her. So keep a close eye on her. If it is scarlet fever then they will need anti biotics.
Xx

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Thu 21-Apr-16 22:38:36

Alarm bells rung for me when I read your title. Could be scarlet fever. If it is, it's important to get antibiotics. It responds well to treatment but I'd see a doctor tomorrow just in case

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Thu 21-Apr-16 22:40:08

Ah see you've seen a gp
DS and DD got diagnosed with tonsilitis and scarlet fever respectively within 24 hours of each other and got the same antibiotics. I'd imagine the GP has considered scarlet fever

Stom91 Thu 21-Apr-16 22:43:22

Flops. I saw 3 Gps before they said scarlet fever. We had tonsilitis, hand, foot& mouth & chicken pox! ( it didn't look anything like chicken pox though!! )
Definitely go back if you're not happy xx

ChuckyDuck Thu 21-Apr-16 22:45:00

Thank you. The antibiotics she's been prescribed are Erythromycin. If this develops into scarlet fever would those antibiotics cover it or would I need to see GP again? No sign of any rash yet thankfully but the tongue is really bothering her.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 21-Apr-16 22:45:16

I clicked because your title rang 'scarlet fever' alarm bells too. The pic of the tongue makes me more suspicious. The antibiotics the GP has given you already are probably the right ones but get it checked out to be certain.

Avoid pregnant women And people in general as far as possible, but especially the very young and very old

Hope she feels better soon!

ChuckyDuck Thu 21-Apr-16 22:59:55

Thank you everybody for the advice. I will phone GP tomorrow to double check. She's had tonsillitis before, even ended up in hospital with it one night after a febrile convulsion due to it, she's seems really ill this time though and in a lot of pain bless her. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon.

Haudyerwheesht Fri 22-Apr-16 07:14:20

I'm not sure that's the right antibiotics for scarlet fever - unless, is she allergic to penicillin?

littlemaemae Mon 25-Apr-16 14:08:04

It's called strawberry tongue. My dd had it with scarlet fever and now gets it with any throat infection

Dontcallus Mon 25-Apr-16 21:21:30

Irc it's a 10day course of antibiotics for scarlet fever.

TheBlessedCheesemaker Mon 25-Apr-16 22:06:50

DD had scarlet fever aged 9. When they werent sure what it was they gave us amoxycillin which had no effect whatsoever, but as soon as they realised what it was they switched. Cant recall what they switched it to but it was not the one youve been given (am sure there are many options on which one). What i do remember is that she was on the adult dose and it was a 14 day course. And she was very poorly - didnt eat for 6 days and barely drank either, before the second course of ABs. Started feeling much better within 72 hours of starting the 14 day course.

ChuckyDuck Tue 26-Apr-16 19:28:41

Thank you for the replies. She has finished her course of antibiotics and is feeling much better.

I'm not convinced it was full blown scarlet fever as she didn't come out in the rash and didn't have any high fevers, just a slight temp you would expect with tonsillitis. The blisters on her tongue only lasted a day or two and then completely disappeared!

She is looking forward to going back to nursery now smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now