Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD's Legs Stopped Working

(13 Posts)
whethertheweather Tue 19-Apr-16 19:23:45

DD(12) came home from school today and said something weird happened in her PE class.

Class were told to run around a bit to warm up for Games. DD says that when she went to run off she couldn't move - describes it as her legs just wouldn't work and it was like her feet were superglued to the floor. PE teacher came over to see why she had been left behind and said "what do you mean you can't move?" but she was stuck there for a few minutes even with him standing over her.

After about 5 mins her legs loosened up enough for her to slowly walk away but for the next couple of hours she says her legs felt like she was wearing deep sea divers boots - really heavy.

Never happened before. Only other thing was that DD had one of her bad headaches at the time. She gets these quite often but never with an impact on movement.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Not sure whether to take her to Dr or wait to see if it ever happens again.

FuckOffJeffrey Wed 20-Apr-16 21:52:36

Anxiety freeze response maybe?

FuckOffJeffrey Wed 20-Apr-16 21:54:48

Also I should have added - Headaches can also be caused by stress / anxiety. Is your DD generally an anxious child or perhaps finding the social aspect of school difficult?

dreame Wed 20-Apr-16 22:22:17

I've no idea what it could be but whatever the cause, not being able to move and then having heavy legs the rest of the day would make me go to the doctor. Even if they chalk it up as nothing, if it does happen again, at least the first time is on record.

RunswickBay Wed 20-Apr-16 22:23:57

Could it be viral? My legs are rubbish with certain viruses

mummytime Wed 20-Apr-16 22:49:37

Definitely go to the Doctor

mineofuselessinformation Wed 20-Apr-16 22:52:38

Get her to the GP and ask if it could be migraine.

whethertheweather Wed 20-Apr-16 23:20:00

Thanks for the replies. DD absolutely hates sports so I guess could be anxiety related. She is certainly not a huge fan of school and is not very settled socially so the headaches could also be linked to that although she gets them at weekends and in holidays too.

Today she came home saying her shoulder hurt so much all day she felt sick. Pain radiating down her arm into her thumb. Could be all viral aches and pains but the women in my family all have shoulder problems. I had to have an operation to reshape the joint as ball was rolling out and impinging nerves so I'm concerned DD is the next generation to suffer the same. If she is still hurting tomorrow I'll take her to the Dr and try to gets legs and shoulder looked at in one session.

mummytime Thu 21-Apr-16 06:50:12

Please just take her to the GP whether or not its still hurting tomorrow. I can think of at least one awful possibility which would cause all those symptoms. It is much better that you get your DD checked and her symptoms recorded.

wannabestressfree Thu 21-Apr-16 06:52:23

I know this is odd but it happened to my son when he was little and be had a really rare kidney problem. He couldn't walk at all. From what you have said though it sounds like anxiety....

Runningtokeepstill Thu 21-Apr-16 19:12:59

Has anyone in the family been investigated for hypermobility syndrome? That would fit with the women in your family having shoulder problems and would be another possibility for your GP to look at.

My mum always had difficulties with her shoulders and a lot of pain over the years. Hypermobility syndrome didn't exist as a diagnosis when she was young but I strongly suspect she had it. I'm quite bendy but don't have pain but my youngest ds was diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome (also known as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome hypermobility type) when he was 10. He has since developed chronic pain syndrome and has the legs-won't-move-when-stressed reaction (although this does not appear to be typical of hypermobility syndrome). In his case it has been very debilitating and has stopped him having regular school attendance. People with hypermobility syndrome are thought to be more likely to be anxious although the reasons for this are unclear.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Fri 22-Apr-16 11:03:50

Have her headaches been investigated? I must admit I would worry in case in was a neurological issue connected with the headaches

ElspethFlashman Fri 22-Apr-16 11:07:03

I think you have a duty to investigate medically. It could be neurological which would mean an MRI.

Or at least you won't know what it is unless a neurological issue has been ruled out, does that make sense? Then if it's definitely not that, you can look at more minor causes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now