Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ASD - is this form of stimming?

(6 Posts)
Blossom4538 Sat 16-Apr-16 13:31:44

Hi all,
There are still question marks over whether our little girl is ASD. She has various struggles.

I'm just wondering if these are stims? I imagine stims such as hand flapping, spinning, staring at lights etc - however my little sometimes does things during meltdowns or busy social situations, which I wonder are they stims?
She has had meltdowns all day today. Sometimes she will repeatedly bang the kitchen door open and closed, same with our baby gate. She also during a tantrum switched our light switch on and off. At my sister's house, which is busy and her behaviours do come out, she will open and close her kitchen bin lid or play with door handle. She's almost 5.
When I looked up stimming on google a minute ago, the Wikipedia page also said feeling soft fabrics is a common stim. My little one loves soft textures (she poss has sensory issues).
What stims do your little ones have?

BackforGood Sat 16-Apr-16 23:49:46

You will probably get more answers if you either repost in SEN, or ask MNHQ to move your post over there.

My experience is that a lot of dc with ASD do have a 'thing' for opening and closing doors, yes. Same with lids. Also repetitive turning on and off of switches.

Blossom4538 Sun 17-Apr-16 07:19:56

Thanks so much!

Devilishpyjamas Sun 17-Apr-16 07:27:44

Switching light switches on & off is more of a compulsion than stim in this house. And not during a meltdown - a stim wouldn't usually be seen during a meltdown. Refusing to allow lightswitch flicking has led to a meltdown - but as I said it's more of a compulsion.

We get door opening & slamming during meltdowns but that's temper or trying to get a ride out of us or get rid of some frustrations. You don't usually see stimming during meltdowns.

Automatic door opening & closing - (& shutters & anything that slides) - yes -but again more compulsive than stimming.

Blossom4538 Sun 17-Apr-16 10:03:35

Thank you x

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 17-Apr-16 10:24:11

Yes could be stimming but I agree with PP stimming for us at least is not during meltdowns - it could be though as autism is a big spectrum
Better though you see how she's is socially or at school and how she's dealing with change etc to judge if she has asd or not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now