Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Night time cough only in dds own bedroom!

(19 Posts)
Earlyr1serAM Fri 15-Apr-16 06:17:43

DD is 6. She shares a room with her sister and night time cough keeps her up all night (most of this yr ). As soon as I bring her into my bedroom, she sleeps sound through the night. Same carpet in both rooms and mattress is a natural pure cotton one that is about a yr old....can't think what it might be, I'm confounded! ( also using an air purifier last few days, but to no affect)confused

Fluffy24 Fri 15-Apr-16 06:24:06

Could there be a very small damp spot somewhere which is giving off mould spores? Or something strong smelling like fabric softener on her bedding?

Wanderingwondering Fri 15-Apr-16 06:31:27

Does she come in your bed? Could it be that the pillows are higher or the warmer bed helps the cough?

GruffaloMoggy Fri 15-Apr-16 06:34:13

Does she have heating on in her room but not in yours?

allergic to her sister wink

Plug in air freshner in wall?

insancerre Fri 15-Apr-16 06:35:07

Has she got lots of cuddly toys

Dd had a terrible night cough till I got rid of the cuddly toys

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 15-Apr-16 07:15:35

What else is in her room? My son is sensitive to a whole host of things, foam, smelly plastics, plants, rubber, balloons.

In her bedroom, look for toys that smelly plasticky, if you know what I mean and perhaps remove some teddies and Hoover / wash the rest.

WhirlwindHugs Fri 15-Apr-16 07:18:51

Cuddly toys trapping dust?

Earlyr1serAM Fri 15-Apr-16 07:34:41

Hmmm......thanks for the suggestionshalo, has made me wonder about additional stuff, like she is on the lower bed of the wooden bunk ( top bunk is high). Regarding toys, everything including cuddly are kept in the playroom, no plants. And my bedding goes through the same processes as the girls. And it's changed every 2 weeks. Whole house was refurbished 3 yrs ago, so no leaking or mould thankfully. Door is kept open in the night as is my bedroom. hmm

Earlyr1serAM Fri 15-Apr-16 07:39:14

Also heating is off waaay before bedtime as she is generally hot through the night.
No air freshners
Recent visit to doc suggested possible asthma and she start on brown inhaler (steroid).
Seen as she's not coughing in my bedroom I know it can't be asthma.

MigGril Fri 15-Apr-16 07:44:21

Could be allergy though, DS has asthma which is trigger mainly by dust mite allergy. Everything needs to be washed at 60c and being on the bottom of a bunk bed can be a problem. Can you try her on the top four a bit?

Earlyr1serAM Fri 15-Apr-16 07:56:07

Thanks MigGril, will convince her to try the top bed tonight. Do you suggest I envelope the mattresses with an anti dustmite zippy cover. The rest of beddings are anti allergy, will double check pillow. Her head side is adjacent to window which is dressed with roller blind.
She usually gets transfered in her sleep to my bed and cough settles shortly.

parissont Fri 15-Apr-16 08:07:45

Check for mould. Also try a humidifier of you leave the heating on. Hoover all around bed and mattress. Give her your pillows for a night and see if it makes a difference.

MigGril Fri 15-Apr-16 08:30:00

I'd just hover it to start with. We haven't need to get one for DS but he has a memory foam mattress. But hovering should make a big difference if done regularly. Just try it first and see if it helps.

I felt like you when DS was diagnosed with asthma which was why I pushed to have him allergy tested. Took them a while to do it but they did in the end.

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 15-Apr-16 09:01:59

It is tricky and so individual. Many people's reactions are triggered by natural substances, dust, dust mites, mould, pollens, animals etc and some by chemical substances.

DS2 is sensitive to anything petroleum based, polyester, latex, rubber but OK a with wool, cotton and horse hair. Many of the anti allergy fabrics don't work for him and when the futon company started adding natural latex into their mattresses I might have actually cried.

You will find what it is!!

The suggestion of trying the top bunk is a good one, the air flow may be better. DS sleeps better a ground level without a bunk above him and sleeps better on a wooden bed rather than a metal one. I have given up trying to work out why, but simply grateful we get sleep and he is better. I would also consider removing your older daughter, perhaps at the weekend, to see if that makes a difference.

We also use blue tansy essential oil diluted and rubbed in his chest, feet and hands. He reacts really badly to ventolin and salbutamol so will do anything to avoid him coughing and wheezing. (I stop short of chanting and dancing round his bed to clear the chi!)

Earlyr1serAM Sat 16-Apr-16 23:56:48

Goodness! So we hoovered every nook and cranny including mattress, changed the bedding. And she slept just a few hours before the cough came back.
I then have DD my pillow and rubbed vapour rub onto soles of feet and chest. That helped another few hours.

Next day (tonight),soon as being into bed, persistent cough again!
Shifted DD into the top bunk and

Earlyr1serAM Sat 16-Apr-16 23:59:57

Persistent cough turned up a few notches into a suffocating cough!!sad
20 minutes of the above and shifted her back into my bed. She's now sound asleep. confusedconfusedconfused

MrsLettuce Sun 17-Apr-16 00:01:44

How very strangE! It must be quite worrying.

Have you op DP tried sleeping in there for a night or two to test it?

BitchAdministrator Sun 17-Apr-16 00:13:25

Dust from the mattress above when that's released when her sister turns round in bed?

I once had a shocking chest infection that I couldn't shift, the doc said is there any mould in your bedroom.i was adamant that there wasn't but behind a massive wardrobe that hadn't been moved. In years the wall was black

Could it be that?

LazyMilk Sun 17-Apr-16 00:31:18

Does she sleep in a different position as she's sharing a bed? Flat out on her back would make her cough but maybe snuggled up to you wouldn't. Might be worth trying a pillow along side her in her own bed to encourage her to sleep on her side eg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now