Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any ideas on where to go with dd in her 2 weeks off school - no contact with other kids...

(9 Posts)
JeffreyNeedsAHobby Fri 15-Apr-16 00:31:55

Hi all,

Hoping for some ideas as dd has an op coming up - before end of July - and has to have 2 weeks off school with no contact with other children to stop risk of infection.

I know she will be tired for the first few days, but after that I was hoping we could do some nice day trips. Obviously the no kids part rules out a fair few things, so I was hoping for recommendations for day trips - Camber Sands / Cooden Beach for example? Dd is 4.5 yrs old smile

VimFuego101 Fri 15-Apr-16 00:50:24

How big an op is it? Are you sure she'll be up to day trips?

How about something where she can sit in the car and not have to walk, like a drive through safari park maybe?

JeffreyNeedsAHobby Fri 15-Apr-16 00:52:13

Yes, that would work. It's only tonsils out, so I think she will be fine after 3/4 days to venture outside?

TheCrumpettyTree Fri 15-Apr-16 03:42:17

I think you're expecting a bit much to be honest. It's quite normal after having your tonsils out to get worse when you at home before you improve. You'll need to give pain relief regularly for a week and if she has any sign of a bleed or infection (if she doesn't eat or drink) you'll need to go back to hospital.

sunshinemeg Fri 15-Apr-16 03:45:49

I spent a week on the sofa when I had them out aged 13.
Going outside I had to keep a scarf over my mouth to prevent infection. She won't be up to much at all, won't want to eat for a few days and when she does it will hurt. Give her the rest she needs

pregnantgrump Fri 15-Apr-16 04:08:48

Watch movies on the sofa, get some nice new books to read together, and stock up on crisps and bread for toast to get rid of the slough. She'll be a bit wiped out.

JeffreyNeedsAHobby Fri 15-Apr-16 12:57:13

OK - thanks, I had assumed the long recovery was due to risk of infection rather than feeling in need of rest. Thank you for letting me know!

MattDillonsPants Sat 16-Apr-16 08:15:10

Aw bless her! Yes, as others have said, look at fun things to do at home...I hope she gets better really fast.

Coconutty Sat 16-Apr-16 08:20:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now