Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickenpox - adult looking for advice!

(5 Posts)
SweetElizaRose Thu 14-Apr-16 10:04:39

I'm not immune and dd and I were exposed to the virus 14 days ago. She got a cold almost straight away which has now gone. I started getting a sore throat on Monday which has now come out as a cold. Is this usually the start of chickenpox? I haven't a fever - touch wood - just a slightly sore throat and a blocked nose. If it is the start how long until spots appear? I have anti virals in readiness and I don't know if I should start taking them.
If we had to get it I really hoped dd would get it first as I understand it gets worse when passed between family members, so she's already at risk of a severe dose due to her age, no maternal immunity and prematurity. Me getting it first is worse case scenario really because I will doubtlessly pass it to her.
I'm very anxious about this.

theknackster Thu 14-Apr-16 10:18:24

When I caught it from DS1, my first spot came up about 10 days after he broke out into spots. I didn't get the fever until after the spots arrived, which lasted for about a week. Spots lasted another week or so. It was grim sad. Hope you dodged the bullet, OP.

SweetElizaRose Thu 14-Apr-16 10:35:00

And me - dd has only just got over being prem. I could really do without her catching it just yet. I'm not bothered about me, it's her I'm so concerned about

nextchapterplease Thu 14-Apr-16 10:38:20

When I had it as an adult I felt really ill - took to my bed as I felt so rough. Thought it was flu - don't remember specific cold symptoms. Then had quite an intense fever - and woke up covered in spots. Not sure how much help that is but wouldn't assume the worst.
Good luck - will cross my fingers for you.

Notthinkingclearly Thu 14-Apr-16 19:48:36

I had chicken pox at the age of 29 from my 26 year old brother. He was quite poorly. I although had lots of spots felt pretty normal and spent most of week lying in shade in a bikini ( it was July). Back to normal and went to Spain following week. I hope you get a mild dose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now