Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bilateral cateracts

(2 Posts)
Blondie1212 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:09:12

4 month old has bilateral cateracts surgery to follow next week not much support out there is there anyone with experience of this or going through the same thing please help!

vtpro Tue 12-Apr-16 12:11:52

The level of surgery these days for cataract surgery in children is very good. One advantage wit cataract surgery is that with that part of the eye there are very few blood vessels and therefore rejection is a minimal risk. I'm guessing the cataracts are central in which case surgery is important to avoid bilateral lazy eye (amblyopia).
Nevertheless, any surgery in a child so young is a huge ordeal for any parent. My son had half a lung removed at 3 months and it was awful. He's great now and I'm sure you'll never look back. My heart goes out to you - very best wishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now