Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Eye test for 4yo

(10 Posts)
CaptainCallisto Mon 11-Apr-16 14:36:28

Does anyone have any experience of eye tests at this age?

DS1 has recently started saying his eyes 'feel funny', usually if he's reading/drawing, and I'm starting to think he might need his eye sight checking.

I'm not sure how it's done with young children though as I didn't start having regular tests until I was about nine...

Gizlotsmum Mon 11-Apr-16 14:40:51

My son has his eyes checked at hospital using pictures. If he knows his letters he should be able to have a test at an opticians

Natsku Mon 11-Apr-16 14:43:51

DD has had her eyes checked every year since she turned three. They can use pictures on the chart instead of letters.

AliciaMayEmory Mon 11-Apr-16 14:48:24

I have taken my DC every year since they started in reception class. They use pictures instead of letters to start with and it's all very relaxed and stress free. I have very fond memories of smallest DC sat in the huge chair looking tiny and saying "a car.... a flower... a fishy...' when 'reading' the eye chart!

Gizlotsmum Mon 11-Apr-16 14:50:20

Have to say ds is under hospital as he has a squint and that needed correcting. He is also pretty long sighted so has had glasses since he was 2.5

Natsku Mon 11-Apr-16 14:53:10

Specsavers does eye tests for young children, just looked it up, no need to be able to read letters

dementedpixie Mon 11-Apr-16 14:53:16

Your local optician may test children's eyes so phone and check. My local does them from age 3 using pictures rather than letters. Dd has worn glasses from 18 months old and both her and ds have annual eye tests

Gizlotsmum Mon 11-Apr-16 14:55:32

That's good to know. They do decent kids frames too

CaptainCallisto Mon 11-Apr-16 15:09:33

Good to know, thank you all!

I'll give our local guy a try, but if he doesn't do them we've got a specsavers in town.

Thank you!

vtpro Tue 12-Apr-16 00:27:29

To test the eyes of someone who cannot read letters is relatively easy. Aside from using shapes (which these days we can randomise to stop kiddies remembering them!) we use a technique called retinoscopy. This gives us an idea of a child's prescription without having to answer any questions and is approximately 90% accurate. This is particularly useful when a child is shy. Try to do a bit of research before you go and find a professional who is child friendly. From experience, and having worked in independent and corporate practices (e.g. Boots, Specsavers) I have found there is no hard and fast rule as to which is better. You can get just as good service at a corporate providing the examiner is child friendly and treats them like a human being! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now