Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

scarlet fever/measles

(6 Posts)
lucyintheskywithgin Mon 11-Apr-16 01:22:43

Hi. I had my 9mo dd at the out of hours today as she woke up with a rash all over after a long, very sore-crying night, has had a cold/temperature for 4 days, using calpol, but the rash was time for professionals.

I'm a bit unsure now though, dr looked her over, and said "if you'd come in 2 months ago, I'd have said measles, but scarlet fever is going round just now so I think it's that' and prescribed antibiotics. Her rash doesn't really feel 'like sandpaper'to me. I guess I still don't know what it is. If it's measles, should I be giving antib's for the sake of it or 'just in case'? There didn't seem to be a treatment for that. I want my lo to get better and not be in pain. But the Drs trip just left me confused any suggestions/advice/tips?

AnotherTimeMaybe Mon 11-Apr-16 03:39:57

My pharmacist friend told me that we scarlet fever tongue gets initially white and then strawberry red! Is that the case with you?
Bless her hope she gets better soon flowers

AnotherTimeMaybe Mon 11-Apr-16 03:41:00

Oh and she also said throat hurts can't eat etc

lucyintheskywithgin Mon 11-Apr-16 06:43:07

No problems eating. I'll check her tongue when she's up...

workplacetherapies Mon 11-Apr-16 20:09:51

that sound a bit awful...scarlet fever can be diagnosed with a swab - no need for penicilin if it isn't this (or possibly if it is..) measles can be diagnosed by koplik spots in the mouth so you could google this and have a look? I wouldn't give something that will weaken immune system until I really needed to. There are lots of bugs around...

lucyintheskywithgin Mon 11-Apr-16 22:07:43

Her tongue is absolutely spotless. Literally. No koplik or strawberry. Now I'm really confused. Going to call her own dr. tomorrow confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now