Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cold before chickenpox?

(13 Posts)
SweetElizaRose Sun 10-Apr-16 07:04:22

Dd (15 weeks) was exposed to chicken pox the week before last. She developed a cold about three days afterwards which she still has. We are now on day 10 and no spots yet but the cold hasn't gone...
She has no immunity from me as I'm not immune.
Is it common to have a cold beforehand? She's very snotty. Or is the cold just an added bonus that we will have as well as the chicken pox?

BikeRunSki Sun 10-Apr-16 07:09:27

My DC were both very run down and coldy before Chicken Pox spots came out. They both got bronchitis straight after too. In my very unscientific study of siblings, it's usually 11-14 days from exposure to spots.

SweetElizaRose Sun 10-Apr-16 07:11:07

How long after the exposure did they get a cold? Dd was almost immediately. Is that possible? Unless that was a different cold and this now is the chicken pox...

BikeRunSki Sun 10-Apr-16 07:13:44

Within a week. Could be a different cold. Or maybe Hayfever at this time of year?

SweetElizaRose Sun 10-Apr-16 07:15:14

Don't think it's hayfever but could be a different cold. It seems to have gotten worse so maybe this is the chicken pox cold?
I'm really hoping she avoids it. She's still so little. Only 8 weeks adjusted as she was prem

BikeRunSki Sun 10-Apr-16 07:17:16

Ooh, tiny. DD was 9 months old and that was tiny enough! Whatever your DD has, I hope it's mild and she's over it soon.

insancerre Sun 10-Apr-16 07:17:56

The incubation period for chicken pox can be up to 21 days between exposure and the spots appearing

Joneseygirl77 Sun 10-Apr-16 07:31:31

My DD has just got over chickenpox and she was fine leading up to it. She had a mild fever and snotty nose and seemed a bit clingy 2 days before. She's actually had a very bad dose of it too so would have expected more symptoms beforehand.

Nectarines Sun 10-Apr-16 07:58:35

My son (8 weeks old) caught cp from my 2 yo. His spots appeared 15 days after her first ones did.

DD had cold and cough but she seems to always have those symptoms from about oct to April anyway!

SweetElizaRose Sun 10-Apr-16 08:03:36

How did he get on nectarines?
I think 14-16 days is average incubation although I realise it can be 21 days...

Nectarines Sun 10-Apr-16 08:10:50

He got his first spots 15 days after 2 yo. He was a bit more whingy and grumpy than usual but only got about ten spots and recovered really well. Hoping for a break from illness now!

FusionChefGeoff Sun 10-Apr-16 08:16:53

Hi Eliza I remember you from your other thread. Have you been able to see a GP about your anxiety yet? There's still every chance that your DD won't have contracted chicken pox - just because you've been exposed is not an automatic guarantee that she will get it.

Please try not to worry about the cold - that could be all it is.

MiaowTheCat Mon 11-Apr-16 13:45:51

DD1 is just getting to the tail end of chickenpox now (poor girl had it as a birthday gift)!

In hindsight she was very grouchy and coldy for about a week before the spots appeared.

It's no guarantee she'll get them though - DD1 shared a room with her sister, and spent every bloody day squabbling, cuddling and generally mauling each other - but didn't get them when her sister did!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now