Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fever and rapid breathing

(5 Posts)
Zionsmummy Sat 09-Apr-16 02:39:14

My sons nursery called me to collect my son early as he was breathing very heavily and rapidly with a temperature of 39.9, I took him straight to the doctors and he said everything was fine by this time his temperature had reduced to 36, son woke up around 1:30am breathing rapidly with a temperature at 39.9 again I have given him ibuprofen along with some water to keep him hydrated. Is there any way to help the fever as he turns 2 tomorrow and I don't want to cancel his party. Thank you

Babyburd Sat 09-Apr-16 02:42:38

Unlikely to be 100% for his party tomorrow, OP. If he has a temp, chances are he's coming down with something. Can you postpone for next week, give him a chance to recover ?

Houseworkavoider Sat 09-Apr-16 02:43:34

Hi,
I would call your out of hours gp now.
I know you've seen one doctor already, but the raised tem with the rapid breathing is a cause for concern.
All the best brew

DropYourSword Sat 09-Apr-16 02:43:47

I'd be cancelling the party! If he's not well he's not going to have a good time and if he's got anything transmittable then all the other kids will potentially get sick too. 😷

Kaffiene Sat 09-Apr-16 09:06:59

Hope he is feeling better today.

All kids have faster breathing and heart rate when they have a high temperature so hopefully nothing to worry about there.

Ibuprofen or paracetamol if the fever is high - I would medicate for 39.9 for example but not 38.5, lots of fluids and cuddles. I do think you are going to have to cancel the party. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now