Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 year old says she thinks her heart is beating fast

(9 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Thu 07-Apr-16 09:09:27

Dd who Is 6 had flu a few weeks ago that had left her quite washed out. Over the last week or so she has occasionally mentioned that her heart is beating fast. It doesn't coincide with exercise. When I reach over and take her pulse it seems within the normal range of around 90 beats per minute. I am not that confident but I have tried a few times and think I am counting correctly. Wwyd? Is it worthy of a Drs appointment?

GrimmauldPlace Thu 07-Apr-16 09:26:11

I'd say it's worth a trip to the gp. Have you taken her pulse when she isn't complaining of the "fast" feeling?
Not a heart expert at all but I get palpitations and sometimes that feels like my heart beats really fast for a few seconds but pulse is normal.
Worth checking out, I think. Just to put your mind at rest, if anything.

amarmai Sat 09-Apr-16 12:53:06

That's great that she is able to identify this is happening. Validate her perception and get her checked. and if the dr does not validate, let her know that she is expert on what is happening with her body.

dratsea Sun 10-Apr-16 11:08:30

Could be SVT. Once as junior doc got a teenager back into sinus by carotid massage, text book stuff but alas completed my medical exam (stethoscope just below and lifting her left boob) and she flipped back into SVT and needed drugs to get her out of the SVT.

Do ask Dr Google about SVT, this came up for me, a young man and has all I knew about it when met my patient 40 yrs ago. The longer you are in SVT the harder it is to reverse.

Notthinkingclearly Mon 11-Apr-16 18:09:19

I have made an appointment for Wednesday to see GP. Last night she suddenly said she thought her heart was beating fast. Picked her up and popped a pulse finger reader ( borrowed from df) and reading was normal. She came out of school today and said that she told the dinner lady her heart was beating fast( wet play so not racing around). She i try to bring appointment forward. Pulse fine tonight.

amarmai Mon 11-Apr-16 18:29:39

i get the fast heart beat and was told by the doctor to stroke my carotid veins to slow it down . It works for me -but i also had various heart checks and am glad to hear your dd will see the gp. Ask for some checks as she may well not be having the faster beat when he checks her.

GrimmauldPlace Wed 13-Apr-16 19:52:45

Hi OP how did your DD get on at the gp?

Notthinkingclearly Thu 14-Apr-16 19:43:25

Oh thanks for asking mrs fizzy. Well she carefully listened to her chest and also checked her pulse rate. Said all normal . I said that I hadn't been able to detect a fast heart rate and she decided to just keep an eye on her and if it continues then they will investigate further, I am not sure if she is just rather sensitive to her heart. She had a murmur picked up a few weeks ago during a nasty virus that they decided it was due to fast heart rate with temp of 40. She is quite a sensitive child so whether this is playing on her mind I don't know. Hoping it will resolve.

amarmai Fri 15-Apr-16 13:30:20

wd a pulse monitor be helpful to get a record of what may be happening?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now