Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

glue ear

(5 Posts)
babynelly2010 Tue 05-Apr-16 00:24:20

Hello, my 5 year old had 3 cases of ear ache in the last 4 month each time no infection was noted but she had cold with it. In the last few days we noticed she can to hear us well. Took her to gp and he made referral saying she has fluid in ears and mentioned glue ear.
I googled it and terrified, there is everything from it will clear with in few weeks to having a surgery. He had never have any ear problems in the past, great at school, early talker with very good behaviour. Anyone with similar experience?

momtothree Tue 05-Apr-16 00:25:34

Olbas oil - every night for a few days - really clears the tubes

NotPennysBoat Tue 05-Apr-16 00:38:22

Just going through the same thing with dd(4). Our GP had very conveniently recently returned from a conference which had a presentation on glue ear! She put DD on a daily antihistamine (to thin the mucus and help it to drain), and a v low dose antibiotic (to ward off infection). After two weeks there has been a huge improvement, GP says advice is to carry on with meds for another 6 wks to ensure fluid is completely cleared. She hasn't felt it necessary to refer us anywhere yet as this treatment seems to be working. So don't panic, there are other options before the surgery route.

bolleauxnouveau Tue 05-Apr-16 00:53:21

My ds was 7 when we were advised to try nasal balloon!, (apparently can be prescribed by a doctor) and to encourage chewing gum, (not so appropriate with a younger child). These two things were to help drainage, we were not offered grommets as an option, ds now seems to have grown out of these issues thankfully.

Prior to that ds had many bouts of glue ear/otitis media (quite painful till his eardrums burst to relieve the pressure shock) and we struggled to know if he was in a world of his own through poor hearing or on the autism spectrum.

babynelly2010 Wed 06-Apr-16 13:42:06

Thank you for your comments. DD seems to hear better today, but still asks "what?!" once in while but I tested her today with whispering and so on she seems to hear better. GP said they may go in and out with their hearing. I also got the balloon in the post today and will give it a go later, we tried gum but she swallowed :O

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now