Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3yr old suddenly gone deaf

(6 Posts)
1wokeuplikethis Mon 04-Apr-16 14:24:43

It's not selective hearing either! Last week we noticed a huge lump of wax in her ear and lots of hard wax in the canal. Showed the dr who said it will come out by itself. My dad said he saw a load of it come out and husband said he'd never seen anything like it. But now, while her ears look clean and clear, she has suddenly gone quite deaf and I'm having to shout everything to her so she can hear me.

Does anyone know what could be the problem and whether another trip to the dr is in order?

slebmum1 Mon 04-Apr-16 14:25:37

Glue ear?

1wokeuplikethis Mon 04-Apr-16 14:26:21

What's that?

Thurlow Mon 04-Apr-16 14:30:31

Sometimes they can get an infection behind the eardrum and it bursts the eardrum when it pops. DD had this a while back and definitely had impaired hearing for a while afterwards. Might be worth a trip to the GP? If there is a hole they sometimes like to give AB drops to make sure there's no secondary infection. It does heal, but I think you need to be careful with swimming etc for a while.

1wokeuplikethis Mon 04-Apr-16 14:38:39

Ah right, well I tell a lie originally; just looked again and there is still a huge wodge of wax right down inside her ear.

Anyone know how to get rid of it? Don't want to risk pushing it further in and can't see her being up for anything being squirted in there :-/

TheCrumpettyTree Mon 04-Apr-16 20:48:38

To soften wax you can drop olive oil in her ears a few times a day. Wax does come out as the ear canal's skin migrates outwards. Do not put anything down it to try and scoop it out, you'll push it down further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now