Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Explaining a medical circumcision to my 8YO

(3 Posts)
EmMcK Mon 04-Apr-16 06:55:28

So, my 8YO DS needs a medical circumcision. There is no alternative, and we need to do what is right for him. However, we live in a society where he will be "different" so I am hoping that someone can recommend a book to explain this to him. He is obviously too young at this point to understand erections and the ongoing issues not circumcising him would cause, but also young enough that he is often naked with his friends and siblings so will be aware that his penis is a little different.
All the books I have found online (What Happened?, The Joy of Being A Boy) are for intact boys so aren't what we need. We are pretty open about bodies and their functions as a family, but he also likes to read things and process them then ask questions, so I am hoping there is a book out there to start the discussion. Can anyone help?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 04-Apr-16 07:03:09

At 8, I'd be really honest about it, he will have experienced erections,although nay not know what purpose they serve yet (though judging what I hear in the playground he may have some idea.

I'd explain that it's to stop erections becoming painful as he gets older, and to ensure ge doesn't have difficulty going for a wee etc. Be very honest about the discomfort afterwards but reassure him it won't last long.

DP was circumcised at a similar age for medical reasons, he said it was never an issue, he got the occasional comment from boys at school that it looked didferent, he explained why and that was it. All curiosity rather than being mean.

Hope it goes well and he's back to running sound etc soon after the op smile

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 04-Apr-16 07:03:57

Sorry I just realised you wanted a book! Still half asleep 😴

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now