Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Alternatives to piriton

(6 Posts)
Joneseygirl77 Sat 02-Apr-16 06:40:12

DD (23mo) started with chickenpox on Thursday morning. She was fine on Thursday and yesterday apart from raised temp and cold symptoms. She's exploded in spots now though- all over her back/tummy/face/nappy area. Poor thing is climbing the walls with the itching and got about 2 hrs sleep last night. I did give her piriton last night but it's seemed to make her more lively as opposed to sedating her!

Any tips on what else I can try? We're doing oat baths, calpol, poxcillin on body, metanium on bum and virasoothe on face. Currently got peppa on repeat and have done for past hour. She's knackered though but can't seem to sleep for itching.

Nectarines Sat 02-Apr-16 06:47:22

My 2 year old just had cp and I found giving half the dose of piriton was helpful. Like your DD, she got a bit hyper with the full 2.5ml but half that amount took the edge off the itching without altering her behaviour.

My eight week old has just started getting spots now. Aargh!

Joneseygirl77 Sat 02-Apr-16 06:55:08

Oh no nectarine! Thanks for that I'll try that one. Out of interest how many days was it before spots stopped appearing? We're still getting new ones angry

Nectarines Sat 02-Apr-16 07:21:09

She got her first ones on a Wednesday night. Worst days were Thursday and Friday, with new spots appearing all the time. By Monday we were no longer seeing new spots and by the following Wednesday all had crusted over and we could leave the house again!

That was the worst thing for my active little girl, being housebound! Hope it passes quickly! This time of year is when chicken pox thrives.

Joneseygirl77 Sat 02-Apr-16 11:22:56

Oh joy we've probably still got a rough 24hrs ahead then. She's really struggling with it especially the ones round her nappy area. She's currently rubbing her back against the sofa to stop the itching! Still seeing new spots though so think she's got a bad dose of it.

Yep being housebound doesn't help either but might wrap her up later and get her out in the rain in the back garden with her bubble machine!

dratsea Sat 02-Apr-16 22:15:28

Calamine lotion may not be very effective but it looks pretty and is good disruptive therapy for both dd and yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now