Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help/advice needed re foreskin (10yo boy)

(8 Posts)
pinkcan Thu 31-Mar-16 22:54:31

My ds is 10 and every time he goes for a wee, the toilet, the floor and often the wall get sprayed by him! I looked over his shoulder when he went for a wee - he starts with a reasonable aim and has a little balloon part in the foreskin. Then, the balloon part seems to un-balloon and the wee suddenly shoots out faster, destroying the orginal decent aim, this is when the wee goes everywhere.

He is not quite at the stage where he is embarrassed about such things and I am unsure whether he is right at the beginning of puberty (he will smell a bit sweaty after sports and he has some fine hairs down below, although no armpit ones and there are no other signs of puberty). He can pull the foreskin back and expose most of the head part of the penis but on one side, the foreskin is still stuck to the head of the penis so that won't retract. I am getting a bit worried that very shortly, he will be embarrassed to discuss any of this, let alone show his willy to me or dh or a doctor. At the moment, he is still like a younger boy, he will run around naked, tells me that all the boys in the swimming changing rooms flash theirs when they get changed for lessons etc!

What should I do? Should I do anything? Should the foreskin be unstuck by now? He hasn't had any infections and he doesn't see the weeing everywhere as a problem so that has me leaning towards not doing anything. On the other hand, I don't wan't him to reach 16/17/18yo and for him to need circumcision at that age. Also, aside from sitting in the bath and soaking, his willy has never been washed. I know in girls, you leave everything well alone and it cleans itself but I am unsure about boys, particularly given the above!

Thanks for any help.

Boogers Thu 31-Mar-16 23:03:17

DS had exactly the same problem, as did his dad before he was circumcised last summer. With DS he has seen the GP and been prescribed cream for balenitis (which it possibly sounds like your DS has) but the next step for my DS is circumcision.

Is your DS ok to let a doctor look at his penis? Can he retract the foreskin normally?

pinkcan Thu 31-Mar-16 23:20:46

I think he would let the doctor look. I'm not sure that ds does retract the foreskin much, I did ask him to today so that I could look at it and that's when I saw the bit that is attached.

It's interesting you mentioned your dh as my dh I think has a similar problem, although it does not cause him any problems and never has. He can retract his foreskin but not completely over the head part. He gets it about half of the way it would need to go to fully go over the head and then it doesn't go any further. So actually, ds's goes further than dh's but dh's is at least symmetrical all the way round, whereas ds's is clearly stuck in just one part.

bumbleymummy Thu 31-Mar-16 23:41:21

It's quite within the realms of normal to still have an attached/partially attached foreskin in your teens. Quite often things will sort themselves out in puberty. As long as it isn't causing any problems - infections etc then I wouldn't worry too much if it isn't bothering him.

Lanark2 Thu 31-Mar-16 23:46:54

I would go for the circumcision, but certainly go to the doctors. If your DH has an issue, then it is likely to remain an issue.

dratsea Fri 01-Apr-16 10:45:29

Get him to sit on loo, pinch tip foreskin shut and wee till it leaks, the adhesions will separate and he will shoot straight er, if he can be assed.

pinkcan Fri 01-Apr-16 13:33:16

Dratsea that sounds like a job to be done in the garden grin to avoid the cleanup. Not sure if him or me or dh has the stomach for it, will have to keep it in mind!

Pomegranatemolasses Sun 03-Apr-16 00:12:56

Ds had this and had to be circumcised, as did DH (unfortunately DH had to wait until he was 19 and suffered years of discomfort and embarrassment ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now