Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

balanitis 2yo, prescribed fungal cream?

(9 Posts)
backtowork2015 Wed 30-Mar-16 17:48:14

My ds aged 2 has complained over the weekend that his penis is sore, nothing to see til today when he awoke this morning with a very swollen and red pens. He had an upset tummy last week and I bet some faeces has contaminated his foreskin so I suspect this is bacterial not fungal. Saw the gp today and was given daktarin anti fungal cream. I'm instructed to just apply it to the outside not try and get any underneath. I've never retracted his foreskin. I know I should give this some time but I can't help thinking he should have antibiotics, the cream is just going to end up in his nappy and he's so uncomfortable. I'm giving calpol and neurofen regularly and gave him a warm salt bath earlier. Any experience or advice would be appreciated

Mumteedum Wed 30-Mar-16 17:50:39

I seem to remember DS had antibiotics for ballanitis. Was nasty. He was quite unwell. Why would anti fungal work on an infection?

Cel982 Wed 30-Mar-16 17:54:20

GP here; balanitis is often caused by Candida infection so antifungal cream is an appropriate treatment. If it hasn't improved in a few days I'd go back to the doctor in case there's a bacterial cause.

backtowork2015 Wed 30-Mar-16 18:45:12

Thanks. I'll give it till Fri. He seemed really soothed by the salt bath so I'll continue them too.

Mumteedum Wed 30-Mar-16 19:29:13

Ah good, someone who knows better has posted. Hope he's better soon. My DS has discharge and fever so maybe that's why he got antibiotics.

lovelilies Wed 30-Mar-16 19:46:23

My DS (2.2) has c/o a sore silly recently maybe only once a day for a week or so... Never retracted foreskin. Doesn't look red and there's no discharge so I've just left ignored it.
Will keep an eye on it

backtowork2015 Wed 30-Mar-16 19:46:36

No fever yet. But I'm giving painkillers so regularly they're probably disguising that. He's got a runny discharge which is dark yellow

backtowork2015 Fri 01-Apr-16 08:46:25

Just an update, balanitis is massively improved. Salt baths twice a day and the daktarin cream 3 times a day. Was looking better after just 1 daysmile

Cel982 Fri 01-Apr-16 14:10:01

Great news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now