Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Low white blood cells

(10 Posts)
Smilecherishdream2016 Wed 30-Mar-16 14:24:44

Hi
I'm hoping someone has experienced this and give me advise . My dd had blood tests done in January and her white cells were down so there was another test done a few weeks later . My gp has written me a letter to say they were down again and to have to test repeated . I'm starting to get anxious about it now and it didn't help that I went googling.

Thanks

summerdreams Sat 02-Apr-16 23:06:32

Is the type of white blood cell neutrophils? My son is neutropenic so could maybe help if thats the problem.

EffieIsATrinket Sat 02-Apr-16 23:12:51

Some ethnic groups have higher rates of low white blood cells counts. It is idiopathic 'just one of those things'. Not sure if it is relevant in your daughter's case or not.

EffieIsATrinket Sat 02-Apr-16 23:16:38

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002221439900013X

Smilecherishdream2016 Sun 03-Apr-16 21:09:46

I'm sure it's the leukocyte that are down . It's the ones that fight infection that I was told .
Hopefully results will be back tomorrow so I'll know more then .

Thanks for the replies .

summerdreams Sun 03-Apr-16 22:18:07

I believe all types of white blood cells fight infection but could be wrong. Sorry dont know about leukocytes hope someone with more knowledge comes along soon.

Smilecherishdream2016 Sun 03-Apr-16 22:23:40

To be honest I'm at a loss myself trying to understand and your right they do . I just remember the doctor mentioning lymphocytes or leukocytes . I'm googling and I'm so confused from reading it .

summerdreams Sun 03-Apr-16 23:01:21

To be honest I dont know my ds has been seeing a heamatoligist and immunologist since he was a few months now he's 20 months and trying to understand all the blood cells and t-cells and b-cells is just too much.

Did they give you any instructions on what to do if your dd gets ill ? I know with my ds I was warned if he got a temp to go straight to a&e I think if it's a worry to them they would have to give advise of that sort maybe it's not low enough for them to be to concerned, not that that's gonna stop you worrying. Definately find out what type of white blood cell atleast then you can google the right one untill you find out more allthough it will allways look a lot worse on google.

Hope you get some answers soon.

grumpysquash3 Sun 03-Apr-16 23:51:48

Lymphocytes and leukocytes are pretty much different words for the same thing (white blood cells: T cells and B cells)
Try not to worry until you have more certain information

ChocolateChipCupcake Tue 05-Apr-16 20:55:16

Hi, I work in a hospital lab and do the blood tests. Just to clear up the definitions: leukocytes are your white blood cells, for fighting infections. There are five types but the most important are neutrophils (fight bacteria) and lymphocytes (fight viruses). As for the significance of low or high levels I'm afraid it really does depend on the situation. As a general rule, if you have a bacterial infection, your neutrophil count goes up and if you have a viral infection your lymphocytes count goes up, but as I say I'm afraid it isn't always that clear cut and the opposite may even happen. I know that doesn't help you get to the bottom of your situation, but hopefully it's a tiny bit clearer.

Keep asking your doctor what they think is going on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now