Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

"Sore tummy, mummy" - ongoing in poor 6yo DD

(13 Posts)
OhGood Wed 30-Mar-16 10:24:33

DD is 6 and for the last - well, few years, really - has regularly said she has a sore tummy. GP has pretty much discounted it - said it could be anything, it's not limiting her, it's not debilitating, and she's fine in every other way. She's not been tested for anything.

But surely it should not hurt? Does anyone have any suggestions for something doc might be missing?

feelingmiffed Wed 30-Mar-16 10:26:30

Have you tried keeping a diary so you can see a pattern of when she complains?

Has she been poorly recently? DS2 gets a sore tummy when his throat or ears are bad, his glands in his tummy react too.

Constipation?

NNalreadyinuse Wed 30-Mar-16 10:29:37

My dd has this. Paediatrician thinks that maybe her bowels are not moving food through the system fast enough and prescribed movicol.
If it doesn't help then the next step is investigating whether it is a reaction to specific food. He ruled out gluten intolerance on the grounds that dd is thriving and has no weight loss and is full of energy.

cherrybloom Wed 30-Mar-16 10:45:56

My dd 5 is exactly the same it comes and goes..I've been to the doctor a few times and she doesn't think there is anything only maybe a bit of wind.

I did my own but of research and from what I can gather its very common in young kids especially girls to complain about sore tummys and it seems in most cases that it's nervousness.I think for my dd at least this is true.I ask her does she have anything she is worrying about and there is never anything in particular.anyway this might not be the case for your dd but just thought it could be helpful

JoandMax Wed 30-Mar-16 10:52:21

My 6yo DS gets bouts of tummy ache, always flairs up when he has a cold or is tired..... No link to food but he had horrific reflux as a baby/toddler, doctor gave us ranitidine and I find a few days of that really calms it down.

RubySparks Wed 30-Mar-16 10:55:09

I would ask that she is tested for coeliac disease, it doesn't always have clear symptoms but sore tummy could definitely be one.

PotteringAlong Wed 30-Mar-16 10:56:42

Worms?

BertieBotts Wed 30-Mar-16 10:57:06

DS used to say he had a sore tummy when he had worms - he was transposing the feelings I think. Have you checked?

OhGood Wed 30-Mar-16 10:57:30

These are all interesting and some sound familiar. DD is quite an anxious little person, and a deep thinker, and I thing anxiety is the trigger some of the time.

NNalreadyinuse does your DD actually get constipated? My DD doesn't tend to.

feelingmiffed diary was so apparently random that I abandoned it.

I am just not sure what to do next. Back to GP? Leave it?

NNalreadyinuse Wed 30-Mar-16 11:23:48

No, she doesn't get constipated. She has a bowel movement every day but the dr still said her bowel might be a bit sluggish and the movicol will help its efficiency. I am not totally convinced tbh but dd has had an ultrasound scan which shows no abnormality. Dr said that an ultrasound doesn't show much soft tissue so is limited in its use for tummy ache but if there was anything obviously wrong, like a thickening or a growth, it would show up. That is the main thing I wanted to eliminate tbh.

The dr said that kids with coeliac tend not to be thriving and energetic. In dds case I can't link tummy ache to any specific time of day or food.

FurryTrousers Wed 30-Mar-16 12:11:55

We're similiar, our doctor said it's mesenteric adentis, but I'm not convinced...

Imnotaslimjim Wed 30-Mar-16 12:17:36

My DD gets mesenteric adenitis too, but only when she's previously been ill. It can take up to a week to flare up.

It could just be slow gut motility. Does she have a good diet with soluble and non-soluble fibre? You do need both for good gut health

OhGood Wed 30-Mar-16 14:52:08

I think she has a pretty good diet. Her energy levels are reasonable - though she does get tired. I don't know, argh.

It's DEFINITELY not related to other illnesses - it happens too often, and too regularly.

I wonder about coeliac.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now