Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS 16mo, screaming and unwell

(23 Posts)
cakeycakeface Mon 28-Mar-16 21:59:01

Is this the right place to post?

DS is not himself. Not sleeping, not eating much at all, cranky all day.

He doesn't have a temperature and hasn't had one all day. He can't be distracted. I gave him Calpol at 7.30 and he slept until now ~10. He is currently screaming. Last night I sat holding him most of the night. He usually sleeps through, eats well and is not clingy.

The only symptom is bad breath. It's quite noticeable. In the night I was getting whiffs and kept thinking he had a dirty nappy. I've had a look to see if I can see teeth coming through but nothing obvious. He was very thirsty when he woke, and DH commented he keeps swallowing. His throat?

Any ideas what this is? And what we should do?

I'm taking him to the GP tomorrow but we have the night to get through.

Stuffythedragon Mon 28-Mar-16 22:00:40

Ime tonsillitis usually gives bad breath 😔 it's awful when they can't tell us what's wrong.
Maybe a trip to GP tomorrow OP

Girliefriendlikesflowers Mon 28-Mar-16 22:01:46

Could be throat or ears, no way of knowing really.

You can give neurofen alongside the calpol so I would give that as well, keep an eye on the temp as could suddenly spike high.

Stuffythedragon Mon 28-Mar-16 22:01:52

Apologies you said you were going to GP.... have you got any ice lollies you could offer? It will help with fluid and maybe soothe the throat too.

Curioushorse Mon 28-Mar-16 22:05:14

My money would be on ear infection. I know that doesn't explain bad breath, but, golly it makes them scream. Mine swallow loads when they've got an ear infection because of the whole blocked up ear thing. And obviously it gets worse at night.

G'luck. anyway.

Voteforpedr0 Mon 28-Mar-16 22:11:47

Is his scream high pitched ? If so I would phone the NHS number just to be on the safe side.

lougle Mon 28-Mar-16 22:12:37

Is he weeing a lot? Or not enough? What sort of smell is his breath?

cakeycakeface Mon 28-Mar-16 22:12:51

Thank you all. Girlie do you mean alternate Calpol and nurofen?

cakeycakeface Mon 28-Mar-16 22:15:05

No scream isn't high pitched but he sounds utterly miserable and exhausted. Weeing seems normal but DH says it smells stronger than normal.

cakeycakeface Mon 28-Mar-16 22:17:28

His breath has a slightly rotten smell. Last night I kept thinking he may have a poorly nappy. Not sure it that was his mouth though or if he also has wind. But it doesn't smell great close up when he's crying either.

Voteforpedr0 Mon 28-Mar-16 22:17:46

Plenty wet Nappies during the day ? That usually gives a rough idea if they're taking enough fluids ect. Smelly wee could be a water infection.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Mon 28-Mar-16 22:18:48

Yes, it can get a bit confusing but both can be given alongside each other but there should be a 6 hour gap between neurofen doses whereas only 4 hours between calpol.

As you gave calpol at 7.30 I would now give neurofen then can give calpol at 11.30 if needed, write down the times you give the meds as its easy to get muddled! My dd had many ear aches and needed both lots of pain relief, calpol alone wasn't enough.

motherigloo Mon 28-Mar-16 22:19:40

Molars?

We had this and it was his top molars. They came in all sneaky out the sides first! We were looking and couldn't see anything but we were looking in the wrong place!! They protruded out the sides and then down! Have a good old look. We also had the bad breath with this!!

cakeycakeface Mon 28-Mar-16 22:20:59

Im not sure about nappies today TBH. DH says they smell more concentrated. He did drink a lot when he woke up and he's getting usual water with meals.

cakeycakeface Mon 28-Mar-16 22:24:51

I keep thinking teeth, but can't see anything. So frustrating.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 28-Mar-16 22:24:54

My DD was the same at a similar age. Turned out to be her tonsils. I hope your DS feels better soon, its tough when they can't tell you what's wrong

Canshopwillshop Mon 28-Mar-16 22:25:16

My first thought was tonsillitis, that can cause really bad breath, like rotten eggs. Agree with alternating nurofen and calpol and maybe try offering some really cold water. Hope you all get some sleep and he's better soon.

cakeycakeface Mon 28-Mar-16 22:41:31

Thank you everyone.

Voteforpedr0 Mon 28-Mar-16 22:49:23

Hope he's feeling well soon (and you get some sleep)

TheCrumpettyTree Mon 28-Mar-16 23:07:08

You can only give four doses of calpol in 24 hours and three of nurofen so don't give it too often (e.g four hourly calpol) else you'll run out of doses.

cakeycakeface Wed 30-Mar-16 07:47:36

Quick update: turns out DS has a sore throat, but apparently not tonsillitis. He slept much better last night so I hope he's on the mend. Thank you all for the swift support the other night. thanks

Canshopwillshop Wed 30-Mar-16 12:31:13

Ah, glad he is on the mend

Voteforpedr0 Wed 30-Mar-16 15:54:30

I'm glad that's all it is, warm milk and lots of fresh air really helped mines with soothing their throats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now