Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 month old with awful conjunctivitis

(22 Posts)
WitteryTwittery Sun 27-Mar-16 20:36:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jimpam Mon 28-Mar-16 16:50:40

Poor thing, conjunctivitis is horrible. Are you making sure to use each cotton ball once only- you should dip it in the cooled boiled water & wipe from inner corner of eye to outer, wipe once then throw away each ball. If you are bf you could try a few drops of breastmilk, someone recommended that to me when DS had runny eyes & it worked.

doodlejump1980 Mon 28-Mar-16 16:55:29

Get her to the gp. Our twins had it, if it's green there's an infection there that boiled water isn't going to do anything to help. We were prescribed antibiotic eye drops and they were under 1. Don't take no for an answer.

mayhew Mon 28-Mar-16 16:56:46

If it's green and gungy there is likely to be bacterial infection. This needs prescription mess.

mayhew Mon 28-Mar-16 16:57:22

Meds!

RaisinGirls Mon 28-Mar-16 16:59:43

Do you breastfeed? If so you can use some breast milk on the eye as it's got anti bacterial properties. When my DD was 3 months she had conjunctivitis and that was what the GP recommended. He also gave me an eye cream just in case but never needed it as the breast milk worked a treat

StuntNun Mon 28-Mar-16 17:00:56

My DS3 had a blocked tear duct and the ophthalmologist recommended using a no more tears baby shampoo to clean away the gunk. If you're breastfeeding then breastmilk is also great at cleaning the eye but it isn't that effective as a treatment so it's still worth getting chloramphenicol eye drops if it doesn't clear up on its own.

RaisinGirls Mon 28-Mar-16 17:00:58

Oh and by the way, you can never over react with a new born so don't worry about calling OOH or going to a walk in

WitteryTwittery Mon 28-Mar-16 17:07:04

SquareDolphin Mon 28-Mar-16 17:19:31

Also successfully used breastmilk to cure it. Really flood the eye and leave in as eye drops using pipette if you have one. When I stopped bf I pumped a (sterilized) ice cube tray full for future conjunctivitis needs...It worked that well! Best of luck.

RaisinGirls Mon 28-Mar-16 17:19:52

Don't do what I did and try and aim the breast milk into the eye blush just get a bit in a saucer / bowl and then dip the cotton wool in. Much easier wink

Pannacott Mon 28-Mar-16 17:41:07

Yes breastmilk, every few hours. I squeezed onto a teaspoon then dropped into the open eye.

Sleepingbunnies Mon 28-Mar-16 17:42:59

I have a 4 week old and the breast milk trick just worked on her! smile

MrsLettuce Mon 28-Mar-16 17:59:05

Yes, I have also successfully treated green conjunctivitis with breastmilk several times. Well worth trying while you wait for a doctors appointment.

I found the BM dissolved the crystallized gunk making it seem more sticky in the first instance, don't be shocked!

ShowOfHands Mon 28-Mar-16 18:08:11

It does sound severe and worth a checkover from the gp.

Just to be clear though, infective conjunctivitis rarely needs antibiotics. It is self limiting and should pass in 2 weeks with sterile bathing. However, if it is not improving, getting worse, causes pain or vision issues then it needs looking at. Sticky pus is not an indicator of ABs being needed.

OP in your case with such a little one I would see somebody but it's just worth putting the correct info out there in case other people browse the thread.

Rosiefruit Thu 31-Mar-16 08:39:25

Sorry to hijack this post but I have a quick Q relating to this. My 8mo has had conjunctivitis & I've been using my last batch of frozen bm to treat & it's cleared it up almost overnight- amazing. Defo recommend! My Q is can I refreeze the leftover bm to use again - for future bouts of conjunctivitis, NOT for feeding? Thanks smile

MrsOs Thu 31-Mar-16 17:53:30

I would take to OOH gp.. It must be horrible for the poor baby x

MrsLettuce Thu 31-Mar-16 20:03:48

Best not to Rosiefruit, sorry. It's not worth the risk.

Peppaismyhomegirl Thu 31-Mar-16 20:07:33

I'm also team breast milk. Litterally just squirted it in his eye from the boob and it cleared up very quickly!

dratsea Fri 01-Apr-16 10:52:51

There is a serious outbreak of conjunctivitis in Fiji, they are paying to take some lactating supporters to the Olympics (On news tonight, yes I know it is April 1st)

DianeLockhartismyGodmother Sun 03-Apr-16 07:36:41

Just found this: pediatricinsider.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/breast-milk-for-eye-health/
Pretty lengthy but worth reading

WitteryTwittery Fri 08-Apr-16 15:33:25

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now